Female co-worker getting on my nerves
Career / 11:56 AM - Tuesday December 21, 2010

Female co-worker getting on my nerves

My female co-worker is getting on my nerves. She is always critizing me on how I do my job and tell me I am doing it wrong. I had been doing the same job tasks for 2 years now. She told me yesterday at work that I am not doing my job right. We got into an argument and the manager said that I was doing my job right. I don't understand why she is always picking on me when I make mistakes sometimes but not the other employees when they made more mistakes than me. I told her to back off and leave me along. My boyfriend told me that she don't respect me and feel that she need to back off. I had been working at my job for 3 years 7 months now while she been there for a year now.

Why is my female co-worker is so hard on me and telling me that I am doing my job wrong when I know I am doing it right?

- Asked by missy74, A Sportif, Female, 36-45, Indianapolis, Other Profession

Is she a slacker? A lot of slackers tend to tell others what they're supposedly doing wrong as a means to distract the attention away from the fact they aren't doing their job very well. Whatever her reason, it's pretty clear she's threatened by you, take quiet satisfaction in knowing that and simply ignore her comments. I don't care who you are or what profession you're in, you will always run into someone like this! It's the nature of the beast.

Why are you whining about it like a 8 year old? And who cares why she's doing it? Tell her politely but firmly to back off, and that if she does not, you're going to lodge a "harrassment" complaint against her with the boss for constantly trying to undermine your confidence at work.

My dear, a better question is why you keep letting it bother you. Why is that? Take a long hard look into why her words mean so much to you. Consider why you can't seem to block her out or disregard the things she says. Why aren't you making the proper adjustments to her bitchiness? You cannot change her, so change the way you deal with her.

I will give you a trick I used. I called it the "10-sec max." Someone who annoys me will get the 10-sec max treatment. I talk to them for a maximum of 10-secs and then I walk away from them regardless of whether they are still speaking or not. I interrupt if I have to and say sorry I have things to do. If they keep talking I pretend they are not there and do my work. At first they will keep talking and say things like "did you hear me?" To which you say, "no I did not can you please come back later when I am not busy." Do not acknowledge anything said after the 10 seconds. Eventually, they will stop talking to you because they will naturally realize that whatever they have to say better be quick and then they are ignored.

- Response by 7zebras, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, New York, Financial / Banking

Why do you let her get on your nerves? The next time she tells you that you are doing it wrong, just tell her that the company is paying you to do it wrong.....and smile.

- Response by birdland, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

Maybe she's angling for a promotion, and she's trying to make you look incompetent. Set her straight and hold your ground.

- Response by 1junebug, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45

I have a feeling she's somehow threatened by you ... or maybe jealous.

You might want to talk to your manager about this. Her manager needs to ask her to mind her own business and just worry about her own job.

Try to ignore her. Don't get into arguments with her ... it's just not professional and won't solve anything.

As long as you're doing what you're supposed to be doing and your manager is OK with it ... you're fine.

she is a bitch, theres no doubt, but something your are doing is letting her believe that the door to make such criticisms is open. I too have had the same problem and what I chose to do was to keep my distance and state out loud how I can not stand people who are rude and think they know better about my job then I do. If she says something to you say, you know what this is the way ive been doing it and i dont agree with you.. also perhaps HR and a harassment complaint... good luck... she is probably neurotic or just an unhappy soul.

- Response by msglo, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Political / Government