If a woman is 33 years old could she had hit menopause?
Married Life / 3:58 PM - Saturday December 18, 2010

I was wondering...if a woman is 33 years old she knows 4 a fact she aint pregnant has skipped 2 periods could she possibly had hit menopause?

- Asked by letmeknow2007, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Home Maker

Peri-menopause. Yes, at your age that is what it is called. See your doctor to make sure it isn't something else.

- Response by seajaih, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

It's possible, but not very likely. It could be any number of issues, including PCOS (cysts in the ovaries) or diabetes. I would advise visiting the doctor and have some bloodwork done.

- Response by 1junebug, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45

It's possible. Women can actually go through menopause in their 20s. Rare, but possible.

I'd tend to think otherwise, though, unless you have other symptoms of menopause and/or your mother went through an extremely early menopause.

I'd recommend a visit to the ob/gyn to find out what's going on.

It is not impossible but it wouldn't be at the top of the doctor's list for most likely causes. Since menopause is much more than the absence of periods, I would look into the causes with your doctor soon.

I knew a couple where the wife, in her early thirties, had gone into early menopause. i.e. no periods. It was believed that her ovaries were shriveled and not working. The couple that that they would have to adopt a child.

Then the miracle happened. She got pregnant. The baby was delivered by cesarean and during the delivery the doctors examined her ovaries (and showed them to the husband) and verified that they were indeed not functional. She was indeed post menopausal. The doctors had no opinion on how she got pregnant. She never had periods.

Then it happened again. Still menopausal, still pregnant.

So, it appears that a 33 year old woman could be menopausal, and also pregnant.

Good luck

If she's stopped having periods she's either pregnant, menopausal, or has a medical problem that needs to be diagnosed by a physician. From what I've observed, a woman doesn't have to guess if she's reached menopause. A trip to see the gynecologist is very much in order. Now!

- Response by 2wheels, A Creative, Male, 56-65, Retired

It's early, but it's possible. She should see her doctor to determine what's going on.

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

No. See a doctor you may have other problems.

Yes, but it's often called something else; I was diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure at age 31. Many OBs or family practice docs will tell you not to worry unless you miss three in a row, but I never missed that many in a row; my big clue was the hot flashes. However, please remember that menopause or even POF don't just hit like a light switch; there are hormone tests they can do to help diagnose you and figure out whether various kinds of treatments can help you get pregnant. PLEASE go to the doc NOW so you can find out the correct information!!

- Response by zanzibarista, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Yes, it is possible to begin showing early symptoms as young as 33 yrs. old. Family history (like knowing when the gal's Mom or sisters or Aunts started their menopauses) would help, too. If her female relatives began menopause early-on, there's a good chance she will too.

The Dr. can do a blood test which tells him if her hormones are beginning to shift.

- Response by familygal, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Artist / Musician / Writer