Is there something a little extra special about the first born?
Family & Parenting / 5:08 PM - Tuesday December 14, 2010

Child, Grandchild, Son/ Grandson, Daughter/ Granddaughter.....

I'm not talking about favoritism, only sentiment. I think all children in the family should be loved equally & unconditionally.

Well, in my own case I was the first grandchild on either side and I was born in England. The following seven sibs were born over here so I felt special. My mother would play British songs on the record player and I had both a British and an American little flags while all the others would have thier little American flag and we would march all around the dining room table, me in the lead of course, singing.."Hail Britiania, Britiania rules the waves!!"..and I never failed to Lord it over them by telling them I was a dual citizen even though I had no real idea of what it meant!! Little snot.

The first one is a novelty.

By the time the second one comes along, it's all "old hat" and Child Number Two doesn't get multiple photo albums full of baby pictures.

I don't know, but the first born always gets the bigger bedroom, lol.

- Response by melimeg1972, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Baltimore, Fashion

My grandmother thought so. My sister was her first grandchild, and born on her birthday no less.

I got told a lot as a kid that there was a "special bond" between them that I couldn't match. I still loved my grandmother, and made it my goal to work for the approval I wanted. I cleaned her yard, I ran her errands, I made her food, I took care of her dog, and I listened to every story she told me. My sister sat on her lazy ass and read all the time.

By the time she died, I think she realized that I was the grandchild that loved her most. At least, I'd like to believe that she did....

- Response by A Player, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

I also a first born and first Grandchild.. Seemed to be a special time for Parents and there Parents too. Spoilt for a short time until the family trend started a baby boom other relatives having kids etc. so yes have plenty of cousins under me .My Grandparents (Fathers side) had a tiff over my name apparently .. LOL thought that was funny. Well they say there are inlaw difficulties. Years later before my Father deceased he told me first borns are special and a trial for new Parents in many ways.
Yes jewellery when Parents passed on and left to me . Also certain items left for me by Grandparents also..Still have my baby bracelet with bluebird locket. Remember them?. Wow old and ancient like me to...I will pass on when there is a neice in the family or my nephews partners have girls.
Our parents made sure all 4 children were special and
showed unconditional Luv to us all in every way no favortism.. maybe to there grandchild but all very much loved just the same..