I boiled a nice waterless stainless steel pan dry. How can I restore to it's original color?
House & Home / 4:53 PM - Sunday December 12, 2010

I have a set of Vitacraft waterless cookware. I boiled a pan dry from only water and cannot remove the dark discoloring. I have used baking soda, vinegar, and tomato juice. Cannot restore the original color.

I would go to the website and ask there. I have a set of those, but thankfully have never done that. Good luck.

- Response by painter3459, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Self-Employed

You can use very fine emory cloth and sand the dark stains out. Make sure it is very fine, and you should be able to sand it out and it will remain smooth. Rinse well after sanding.

- Response by masterbody1, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55

Not all stainless steel is completely stainless. A lot of stainless will not rust, but will discolor with heat. I think that is what happened to your pan.

Normally, food cooking keeps the temperature sort of low, but when it ran out of water it got very hot. I have stainless steel exhaust pipes and they have discolored.

So, the answer is steel wool. Steel wool comes in various grades. A "1" is fairly course (you don't want to even know about a "3"), a "0" is pretty fine. A "00" finer and a "000" finer still. You probably want to use about a "0". Maybe a "1" if you don't mind some small scratches and work in the direction of the previous polish.

It works dry. It causes your hands to go black. Just sit down, get a wad of steel wool, and start rubbing. Back and forth. It should slowly clean up.

Good luck

You can use a fine "wet or dry" sandpaper to remove the surface discoloration. Then polish the surface with buffing wheel and some "hard metal" polishing compound on the wheel.

Try boiling water with a spoon full of cream of tarter in the pan. I'm not sure it will work on stainless but it cleans aluminu real well and leaves a shine.

- Response by mrsjack, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older

Spray paint

If it is stainless steel, try one of those green scouring pads (not the metal one), some Dawn dishwashing liquid, and A LOT OF ELBOW GREASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! It should scour clean, but it will take a lot of scrubbing.

- Response by gingham, A Cool Mom, Female, 66 or older, Baltimore, Construction

Acetone mabe or liqid silver plolish - I would ask the guy at the Hardware Store. That kind of stuff is what the do best. -Gulliver

- Response by stick4013, A Creative, Male, 66 or older, Artist / Musician / Writer