Have you ever moved from a cool climate to a hot and humid climate?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 2:27 PM - Sunday December 05, 2010

How long did it take your body to adjust, or didn't you ever adjust completely? Did you go outdoors often? Were you originally from a hot climate or not?

I'm thinking of the possibility of moving from Pennsylvania to Sarasota, Florida. I've been to Tampa, Florida and remember the unrelenting heat and humidity. I'm just wondering if I could take it after a while, or if I could ever adjust. Does anybody ever really adjust? Or do they just stay in air conditioning 99% of the time?

- Asked by beachinbeachboy, A Jock, Male, 36-45, Pittsburgh, Consulting

Moved from a small town in Western Mass. to Pompano Beach, Florida and I have never gotten used to the summers there. You can fry an egg on the hood of your car and sweat from the door to the patking lot. Too hot to even sit by the pool!!!

Well, we DO stay in air conditioning as much as possible. When the temperature is in the 90s and the humidity is 100%, it's difficult to function. Never go anywhere without water!

I would suggest moving there in the winter, to give yourself a chance to adjust gradually to the weather. Winters tend to be dryer, so your lungs can grow "gills" as needed when it gets more humid.

:)

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

I moved to Texas after living in Ohio and Tennessee. When I thought it was hot in Tennessee I was sadly mistaken. People that are actually from Texas tell me they never get used to the heat.
Have been in Florida many times, and unless you are living near the ocean it feels hotter there to me than here. I won't ever adjust to the heat, but I make sure I drink a lot of fluids and stay in the air conditioning.
The hot weather is harder on your car, because the air conditioning gets used so much. I tried going without the air in my car, and I will never do it again. So that is a repair you probably would be looking at in the future.
If I lived in Florida I would have to go swimming nearly every day.

I would imagine so. I lived in Arkansas for a year and never got used to the dry and thick humidity.

I'd imagine it would take a minute for you to adjust. Be wary of the heat, especially if you weren't a fan of it in cooler climates such as Pennsylvania and all points North. The summers get hot, but the South is guaranteed to get HOTTER.....

- Response by king313, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Detroit, Civil Service

i pretty much didn't have a problem until HUMIDITY atacked me. but i just keep saying "it's good for my completion", "it's good for my completion", "it's good for my completion". but it really is worth it. good luck!

- Response by imissit, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 66 or older, Who Cares?

Your nody doesn;t need to adjust to comfort.

- Response by buffer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Los Angeles, Retired

Hell, I have lived in South Louisiana for over 44 years and I'm still not used to the heat and humidity!! good luck with that :(

- Response by shanegalang, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, Transportation

I tell you what, I moved to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida from New Jersey when I was 10 and moved to Atlanta, GA after I graduated from college. I have had more trouble adjusting back to the cold (it's 32 degrees here today)than adjusting to the heat. Cold sucks.

- Response by gatorman, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Atlanta, Construction

Standing up with my hands waving. I moved from St Louis, Mo to northeastern Florida. The humidity is all around as both coasts are located on large bodies of water and inland there are rivers and lakes...especially in the suburbs.
I have lived here for 8 years and it has not killed me yet.
Good luck.
Once you get here, you will want to be on the beaches or boating on the lakes/swamps....:)

Yes i moved from Wichita Ks to Tampa Florida 5 years ago i have completely adjusted to the weather down here it is in the 40's and i am freezing. Well kansas changes all the time its hot their in the summer but it doesnt have the humdity that Tampa has but its really cold in the winter their.

- Response by carolcarr, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Tampa