What's the best gaming system - if any for a 6 year old?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 4:19 PM - Tuesday November 30, 2010

Is 6 too young for playstation/xbox/wii games?

Update: November 30, 2010.
Dont they all have a motion sensor now? I'm worried the games would be too hard or that he'd get bored with it. I do like the idea of the exercise though. My kids play outside a lot but its getting cold and the weather is inclimate often in the winter. I dont want that zombie look that kids can get with video games.

- Asked by newnumbersguy32, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Financial / Banking

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiii!!!!
The child-like fun is right in the name. It can also double as exercise.

- Response by falsehammer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Kansas City, Consulting

What age kids should start playing is a matter of parental decision but you need not worry about him getting bored because my son sure hasn't! My Dad got my son a Wii when he was 3 years old and you wouldn't believe how much it helped with his coordination, color and matching skills. We get him wholesome games like Mario Bros, Spongebob Squarepants and Wii sports which helps him get exercise on days when it's too cold or wet to go outside. Wii is the system I'd recommend, mostly because my son loves it and also because playstation and Xbox cater more to adults and tend to have very violent games.

Unlike the other control schemes the Wii has several accessories. One accessory is the Wii Motion Plus which allows the Wii to recognize more complex motion making it just as accurate as the Playstation Move. The Wii has more motion-controlled games than the competing systems thus far mainly because it has been released long before the competing motion control systems.

I say the Wii they have a good selection of games that would be better geared for a 6 year old.

The Wii has more functionality and user interaction. Which would be right up the street of a 6 year old.

...:)

The kids are way smarter than we are. Buy it.

I like the wii....age appropriate games of course and as they grow they shouldn't be bored with it. All in moderation of course....good luck.

I was never a big fan of gaming consoles myself but this year I have had a go at both the Wii and the xbox kinect. I like both of them but the xbox (with kinect motion sensor) is controller free as it senses your body. Quite fantastic actually. Was boxing and street fighting last night (maybe not the ideal games), a good work out for us older ones too :o)

- Response by cam80, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35

My little brother started playing video games when he was three. And not just simple computer games like tetris-- this kid played Halo, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, and Grand Theft Auto (no matter how many times mom took it away) on XBOX 360 and PS3. He likes the kids games like LEGO Star Wars and stuff, but he plays the first-person shooters because his older brothers all do. By four, he was better than me. And by six, he'd be relatively high in the standings when he played team shooter games online. He's almost eight now, and can seriously kick butt. He also REALLY loves Rock Band, but he's really into music (when he was three/four and playing, he was better than me even though he needed to literally jump on the bottom pedal when he played the drums because he wasn't strong enough just to push it down).

And there's nothing zombie-like about the pure thrill he gets from playing. Yeah, he's probably skipping some of that child-like innocence (he's skipped Beiber and Jonas and gone straight to Usher and Eminem), but he's happy, healthy and mostly well-adjusted (he's a bit of a class clown).

And don't worry about it being too hard. Kids can seriously handle anything, it doesn't matter what you get him to play-- any system, any game, he'll catch on and probably love it.

- Response by anie01, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Teaching

Id get the Wii.....plenty of kid friendly games and they would love wii sports

- Response by curiousguy, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

the lil boy in my ave is my grandson and since the age of 3 years old... he played all games..he has a p3 now. and he is 5 yrs old now... he is so damn good at playing games.. trust me they will learn on their own...it came natural to him...we are now thinking about getting him a wii. i don't think he'll part with his p3..lol. the game stop stores know him, and they hook him up here and there...mind you we don't buy him the violent trashy games.. we has fun with his games along with keeping his innocence..

- Response by mburgos, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Philadelphia, Who Cares?

I would definitely say that the Wii is a great game for any age because they have a lot of different games you can play, there are exercise games, dancing games, etc that not only keep the 'little ones' moving, but the 'older' ones as well...my sister got a Wii last year and I must have lost 10 lbs just from playing it lol...:)

The motion sensor people are most likely referring to is the kinect for 360....with small children I wouldnt purchase....its quite interactive and you have to move around.....and with a small play area they may hurt themselves

Find out if he's more of a strategist/tactician or a directly involved character. And no, it's not crazy. If he prefers playing with toy cars, toy soldiers, legos etc., where he controls multiple characters, builds structures and such stuff, get him a PC. It's more expensive but the greatest strategy games are mostly PC-based.

If he enjoys playing soldier or anything else that puts him directly in the action and has missile weapons, get him a PC as well. First Person Shooters are meant to be played mouse+keyboard and NOT a gamepad.

For just about anything else, pick either PS3 or Xbox360. While Wii might sound like the right thing for a kid, it's terribly primitive compared to either one of the other two and since both of those now also have motion-control, that argument for the Wii is kaput :P I'd actually suggest the PS3 - you don't have to pay to play online, unlike The Xbox360.

One last note: The game ratings are usually bollocks. Games very very VERY EXTREMELY RARELY make anyone do anything crazy. The US is the one place in the world, where these rating systems are being taken at least halfway seriously and still it's the country with the biggest amount of violence among young people, so it stands to reason that, if anything, not playing violent games is worse than doing it.

Seriously, I really don't know of any kid that would think GTA IV is real life. And no, graphical realism doesn't matter. Kids pretend to be gangsters, cops, soldiers and a bunch of other stuff and I dare say their imagination is much better than anything a computer can produce on a 2D screen, and they don't start believing they really are those characters. The same goes for games.

So, to sum up, I'd recommend you either invest in a high-end gaming PC (dunno about the US, in the EU you can get a good gaming rig for under 1000?), which you'll then just upgrade every now and then, plus the kids can use it for other things as well. And no, I also don't believe there's a single reason why a kid age 6 shouldn't have his own PC. Or that football is better/healthier than a PC. And finally, PC games can be significantly cheaper than console games.

If you insist on a console, however, I'd say go for the PS3. For me personally, free online play was reason enough.

- Response by windlord, A Guy Critical, Male, 26-28, Who Cares?

I would go with Wii. They seem to have alot more games age relevant for a 6 year old. My Teenage son got a PS3 with his Christmas money last year and is much better for older children and serious gamers. They are also catching up with the motion features as is Xbox.

Wii definately has my vote. Some games he would like and beat you "hands" down in Mario Carts. Ben 10. Beach Sports.

- Response by hands, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Hong Kong, Who Cares?

I don't think people are familar with the Xbox's Kinetic. It's similar to the Wii but it doesn't require you to hold any controller which is probably better for a six year old that they don't.

And as a six year old gets older they can play with the Xbox system.

They have dancing games, snowboarding games, and and many similar to Wii.

Otherwise, if you want something education- Leapster Explore or Leapster 2 has handheld educational games. Bonus, is the child can bring these with them on road trips. Games cost about $25 each.

- Response by sweetncharmn1, An Engaged Guy, Male, 36-45

All of them have motion sensor stuff now.... PS3 has "Move", Xbox has "Kinect"...and Wii is built in.

Go with the Wii, much simpler games.

- Response by king313, An Engaged Guy, Male, 29-35, Detroit, Civil Service

Definitely a Wii...or if you want something more portable and kid friendly a Nintendo DS. For something a bit more :little kid" oriented that uses characters like spongebob and Wall-E to actually teach the kid, look into a Leapfrog.

- Response by playhouse933, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Other Profession

Pots and Pans and rolling pins and other assorted kitchen utensils!!!

The ball,bat and glove system.