I sometimes feel as if I have no feelings or emotions at all.
Diet & Health / 1:09 AM - Wednesday November 24, 2010

Sometimes I feel as if I've got no emotions or feelings at all, and that makes me feel as if there is something wrong with me. Example: I have very strong feelings towards my boyfriend, but then suddenly ill go for a week or so where I just don't care about him at all, and I'm angry and frusterated and feel empty. Then just as quickly as it came, its gone, right back to normal. He is not the only one I've done it to, either. I've learned to control it enough so that I'm not being hurtful, but it still is very disruptful toward our life. I've had a history with anti depressants, and went through a period of severe panic attacks, but this feeling of complete and total apathy is worse than any of that. I feel like I can't live a normal life if I can't feel anything. Do you think there is any treatment for numbness?

Update: November 25, 2010.
Randyl, in response to your last post, in all honesty, my life is great. I have a great family, a good job, a great boyfriend, great and many friends, and generally a pretty good self view. I definitely do keep my feelings inside and try to blot them out, and I'm definitely not a talker. To be honest, the only people who really know there is a problem is myself and my boyfriend (and only because I can't hide it from him). Of course my parents know I struggle emotionally and always have, but I've always been too private and they're scared to pry. I looked into borderline personality disorder, and I feel strongly that it describes me. I'm going to look into a therapist or a psychologist but my question now is.. where do I start? Do I talk to my regular physician?

Update: November 24, 2010.
Thank you for those of you who had some compassion towards this issue. Your advice was greatly appreciated and has really got me thinking. I do eat healthy, and try to take supplements, as well as regular workouts (3 times a week minimum). I'm no longer on anti depressants, as I took them when I was 16 and later attributed those issues to teenage angst, and have been off of them for many years. Basically, I gave them a try and realized they weren't what I was looking for. I'm considering therapy. I have never been one to talk about anything related to feelings, but that might be my problem. If I convince everyone else that I have no feelings, I guess I can convince myself, right? As for the other responses, I think those people may have missed the point of the forum. "You're crazy, get help" is definitely not constructive and I wish you would have just kept it to yourself. Its obvious I need help if I'm writing on this site, I just want guidance for what direction I should go in.

- Asked by An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28, Toronto, Retail

So, How do you feel about giving me a STAR?

Try it out... to see if it makes you happy.

- Response by mikegeeboyd, A Life of the Party, Male, 56-65, Artist / Musician / Writer

It sounds like you suffer from a personality disorder and psychotherapy would certainly help you.

- Response by A Creative, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

agree, you need pschychiatric treatmend d

What I think is that you desperately, need to contact a doctor and talk this over. There is every reason to believe this is a chemical imbalance within your body and tweaked that balance could mean the difference between misery and hope.

Without any intervention at all, this is hopeless and that is just not acceptable. You are right... something is not normal here. Please seek out answers.

Here is the correct direct link to the article

http://www.naturalnews. com/025174_health_food_ vitamin_B.html

adding after seeing the answer before me. Essentially he's giving good advice, though it is not the center of it, the habits over the years of the chemical reactions and likely not the best nutrition also adds, one keeps sliding down the same bobsled route. And readjusting nutrition can help step out of that, absolutely. But is an important supportive step, not the main one, of course, which is finding out what set your body\psyche up in the first place, ie what hurt you without a remedy at that time that has ou talking to yourself.."Can you come listen and heal this. Please. Now."
I find my period is a time that really helps with this, my mind gets very clear, any cloudiness clears off, and I know what's really going down about any situation in my life. You? Listen.

The St John's wort is excellent, so is vit b complex and good mineral supplements, to help to support, to give yourself the message and the habit OF supporting and taking care of yourself, an essential. But no substitute for the real healing to be found, ok?
and be gentle and compassionate. You've been hurting a long time, sweets and don't deserve any more of it, deserve your life given back to you. Go get it.
and know that all the millions of people who have gone through this in one way or another are right there with you cheering you on, whether you hear them or not..
we are all connected in this world, and are here to truly love.which includes being loved, truly.

- Response by serentan, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Artist / Musician / Writer

Please dont be alarmed by some of these answers. The fact that you are aware of this is good and the beginning of change. Getting back to feelings agian may take some time but can be done. A starting point may be some self help books ie Re-inventing your self. Also look at mindfuless Acceptance and compassion treatments books courses. It sounds like your child hood may not have been as good as you would have liked..look at healing the child within. Hope this helps and good luck

- Response by mas1478, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65