Do you think a relationship can last if there is a huge age difference? do you think its sincere????
Dating / 12:27 AM - Tuesday November 23, 2010

I have been talking to this guy who now we are friends because of some differences we were having. but he is still around. I still care about him alot. although we agreed to be friends. There is a 13 year age difference between us. I am 26 and he is 39. he does not look it at all. do you think a relationship can really work out with such a huge age gap and is it sincere????

Update: November 24, 2010.
THANKS to everyone who responded, it is appreciated. I got ALOT of positive feedback and I will def put it to use. I have always dated men older than me. But never dated that age before. He is an amazing man, great to my daughter and I but only time will tell...so we shall see...HAPPY HOLIDAYS/ TURKEY DAY!!!!

beyonce is 27 an jay z is 38, they make such a good couple and look so happy together. So if you can look past it and its meant to work it will. Plus, your age difference isn`t huge. But if it`s bothering you and it makes you uncomfortable it wont work.

- Response by annonn, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Fashion

A lot of people say that age is a state of mind, that a person is only as old as he or she feels. That is an upbeat and optimistic approach to aging; however the question is if that applies when it comes to relationships.

I've always believed that age is just a number. Some people agree with me; a lot of people don't. Depending on our up bringing, cultural background and religion, age gap relationships are either frowned upon (this is the most common) or accepted. The most important factor to consider is that although our bodies will show our age to a certain point, age is most significant when it relates to maturity. Whether you find yourself to be the younger or the older person in a relationship, take into account whether your maturity levels match. You may find in life that a sixty year old and a forty year old can be very similar in regard to their maturity level. This all depends on their life experiences, personal outlooks and goals.

Another aspect to consider is if the age difference will interfere with your own personal goals. Whether you want to concentrate on your career, or have children or spend your free time traveling; ask yourself if your partner's age difference agrees with your way of life. Discuss the future, not just the present situation. Some topics to consider are finances, children, retirement goals and career choices.

If you and your man feel you are right for each other, age will not matter. We all begin our quest for love as young adults and we live with the intention of holding strong into our senior years. If two people are lucky enough to find each other, it usually will not matter at which point in life they do so. When it comes to love, age is really just a number.

- Response by gorgeousirene05, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Financial / Banking

i think it matters what you think if you think that you and can be in relationship and with age difference then yes it can. I have always went with older guys just haven't found right person

- Response by babygirl4all2no, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

That ain't a huge age difference. Look at Anna Nicole Smith and her grandpa ex husband. Now that's a huge age difference that can only last when lots of $$$$$$ is in the picture. 26 and 39 it's ok and can definitely work out.

- Response by lokipr, A Player, Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental

I am in love with a guy that is 9 years younger than me and because of that it didn't work. It can work if you both want it to work bad enough. If you both are willing to put in the effort.

- Response by debski, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Detroit, Science / Engineering

Yes it can work, and i am sure the differences are not age related. Is he single? If he has an ex wife with kids, that could cause some problems. I am not saying that it could be that..but in most cases it is the past or maybe there just is no chemistry from his side.

Its hard to grasp at first and a bit painful... but no man will let a women go if he really wants to be with her.

i am sure there is someone better out there for you...

good luck:-)

- Response by simmypet, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35

I have a friend who married a man 25 years older than herself. It was a good marriage. I've heard of other May-December marriages that have done well; it's nothing new.

Give this relationship a real chance.

When I was 30 I dated a man who was 41. We were friends for many years before that which helped but unless you have other interests in common besides physical attraction I don't see how these types of relationships work out. Sure you can find some common ground with anyone but eventually the generation gap catches up with you. Most of the times you are at very different stages in life and you want different things. For instance you may be looking to get married and have kids where this may not be something he wants to explore at 39. I guess in the end it comes down to communication to make sure your on the same page, that you have similar goals, dreams and desires and if there is enough similarities then sure it can work. If not, then I think it's best to date someone you would have more in common with.

Yes, I think so. My son is 44 and baby mama (they have two girls together) is like around 30. My best friend was thirteen years older than her hubby so it works both ways!!

Yup. It can work. My grandparents were married for 58 years and they had 14 years apart... best wishes... and enjoy each other..

- Response by timeforanoverhaul, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Managerial

When I was 25 and in college I had a 48 year old g/f and she was the best thing that ever happened to me. Age doesn't matter to me. We had a lot in common, she was smart and appreciated that I was a stud and we had great sex together. Wish I married her.

- Response by ereculus, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Boston, Other Profession

In my opinion, if it is meant to work it will work. Age will make no difference.

- Response by ravalox, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Regina, Transportation

In my opinion, if you are even asking about the age difference, then it is too big a gap. Not in general, but for you.