How to properly store crystal stemware.
House & Home / 11:57 PM - Sunday November 21, 2010

How to properly store crystal stemware.

My mom gave me a complete set of crystal stemware.

There is so much of I put it in my storage unit. I don't have room for it in my tiny apt.

She freaked out on me saying if the crystal gets too cold it will crack.

Is this true? Where do I need to store this stuff at if I have no room for in my place?

- Asked by thekissbandit, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

No, it's hunky dory. I also own some beautiful hand cut Italian lead crystal. The greatest danger to it is when you wash it. It doesn't like rapid temperature changes so when it's used to room temperature, wash in warm water and dry carefully immediately. Don't stand it on the rim - it's the most fragile part. Stand it on the base. Then pour some Burgundy in it (your glass will love this) and invite some friends.
Don't be afraid to tell the friends that these glasses cost $100 per time so can you be careful with them please.

- Response by 1jealousguy, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, London, Artist / Musician / Writer

It is true that crystal does not tolerate extreme temperatures well at all. But, they are not referring to the temperature is is stored at.

Stemware should always be stored upright (standing on its foot) to help prevent chipping the rims. Be sure to allow enough room between each glass to avoid touching - this will help prevent chipping on the rims.

To prevent cracking or breaking caused by extreme temperatures do not pour cold liquids into crystal that has just been washed in hot water and always allow chilled crystal to reach room temperature before washing. - Never put lead crystal items in the microwave as it can damage the crystal as well as the microwave.

So, botttom line is that switch from one extreme TO the other is what can break or crack them. One continuous temperature in storage, even if very cold, will not harm them. If you took them from that extreme cold and dropped them in very hot water, THAT COULD CRACK THEM. You bring them from one temperature to the other, slowly, if you ever even have a situation like that.

I would think since the stuff is so fragile, make sure you don't store it in tight wrappings. Cause it may get more fragile at cold temps.

I agree you should not store them, but use them. Invite your mom.

- Response by stupidgdlkg, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Edmonton, Technical