Do you put Christmas lights on the outside of your house.
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 7:40 PM - Saturday November 20, 2010

I, used to put them up every year. This will be the first time I won't be-able put them up, due to bad health

- Asked by oldman52, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Sydney, Retired

Never in my life have I implemented Christmas lights on the exterior of my house. Not since I was 16 have I lived in a house, and the last time I recall having Christmas lights was sometime during the early 90's. Since then, I've lived in an apartment, and I haven't had the means nor authorization to place them on the house. One day I will do that when I own my own house, though.

- Response by daugenstine, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Political / Government

Aww, that makes me want to fly down there and help you put your lights up this year! Plus I can get me a vacation to somewhere warm...I believe summer is just starting down there, am I right?

SPOILSPORT< DENYING YOUR NEIGHBOURS ALL THAT PLEASURE< D

S C R O O G E .

not the house, but the trees!
Happy T'day to you and yours
and please take care oldman!
peace. kat

- Response by kitkat19, A Thinker, Female, 56-65

No it is just me and I have never done so! I am so sorry!!! You have a lot of kids, won't they help or their spouses???? Here in the states a lot of the lawn and garden places turn Xmas decorators in the winter to help subsidise.

At least 6 years ago I bought a BIG artificial tree and this will be the first year I will be able to put it up!!!!

- Response by blucat, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Executive

We have three miniture Chritmsa trees lit on the large front
porch..just before Christmas.... None of that night after Halloween decor for us.... and draping icicles on the back deck..they reflect back inot the living room...

All done in off white lights... such a nice glow*

- Response by lady4u, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65, Cincinnati, Who Cares?

I just do the tree. I put candles around in the house also but I don't do lights on the house. If you really like them there then you might consider one of those handy man services that you can hire to light your house up for you. I like having a somewhat simple Christmas however I do cook up a storm...And don't forget, Happy Thanksgiving!

- Response by morista, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Managerial

Hey Jeff Call the troops your kids and grandkids can help out this year go on . Your grand kids luv it and u do to Grandpa.. Give then a call .

Can your kids help? If that was a tradition for me, I'd want to find a solution...I do very much love other folk's light shows. I've just never done it myself, on my out of the way, private street home.

All my Chistmas glory is inside the house. it looks spectacular when I get done with it! :)

I love Christmas lights outside, but since I live in an apartment, I have to suffice with what I can manage inside and around my front door. One of these days I'll have an outside that will get lit up :)

- Response by 23rosess, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental

No I don't. I put up a lot of Halloween decorations. It is my favorite holiday.
It would be great if your neighbor's would get together and help you with this.

When I was a kid my family stopped putting them up when they got stolen one year. I have never put them up since. It seems like too much trouble anyway.

- Response by valannetine, A Creative, Female, 36-45

I'll put a candle in the window for ya.

I'm one of those annoying people who just leaves my lights on the big tree in front of my house all year round, then just plug them in during the holidays. Saves me putting them up every year. Maybe you could ask some boy scouts if they could put yours up as part of their community work?

- Response by mssassychica, A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45, London, Executive

No. Mostly I have lived in apartments as an adult, so I have never had to put light outside my home. If I had a home, i would definately put lights on outside. I have heavily decorated my apartment windows with Christmas lights though! Christmas is my most favorite holiday of the year, it warms my heart for many, many reasons. Blessings! :)

- Response by blossoming1, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Seattle, Civil Service

Well I put a Happy Holidays sign on my front door, leave the porch light on, and even remove my outside doormat which reads "OH, No! Not You Again!" off the stoop.

- Response by lomer, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Halifax, Science / Engineering

We do. The lights that go into the trees and along the roof/gutter are my fiance's job and I put out all the mini trees, presents, etc.
Sorry you won't be able to do it this year.

- Response by hpets80, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, St.Louis, Medical / Dental

Nope, in these parts, the tradition is to put a white candle in each window. I'll be doing that.

- Response by monana, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

We used to do icicle lights and red ribbons and a wreath on the door. But that has dwindled down to just red bows on the porch.

- Response by CursedRomantic, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Columbus, Student

I try to put some blue lights out each year.Sometimes I just put a tree with blue lights on it on my deck.

Im sorry for that...they used to be so much fun to do when the kids were younger

I'm sorry you won't get to enjoy them this year. I don't even put up a tree anymore. I don't live near family and I don't have children so Christmas just doesn't have the meaning for me that it once had.

- Response by agolden13, A Trendsetter, Female, Who Cares?

Yes I do.And I love looking at all the other places with lights.

- Response by roanna, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Self-Employed

I live in apartments Im surprised if the welcome mat outside our door is still there :O

- Response by physicsystem, A Creative, Female, 22-25, San Antonio, Self-Employed

yes, i display Christmas lights every year to remind myself and those who observe why they are there, sorry to hear of your health problems but it is in thought that we celebrate christmas, perhaps something smaller like window candles would do, after all that's all they were fortunate to have 2000 years ago...

- Response by arewethereyet, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Political / Government

No, I don't put Christmas lights on the outside of my house. To me, Christmas is a spiritual time and I like to keep the rest simple.

The family put up a tree, lights and decorations inside. We exchange silly gifts with a limited number of people and have a nice Christmas dinner. Thankfully, the over-the-top stuff is being cut back this year as people have less money. Perhaps the real spirit of Christmas will return.

- Response by sixtiesboy, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

Hell no, I don't plan on paying more to Natnl Grid than they already rob me of..

- Response by nysbikergirl, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Yes, we do put them up Jeff. I am so sorry..I wish I could
be there I would put them up for you. You take care...Don

- Response by don07, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 56-65, Las Vegas, Self-Employed

I put them up when I'm home in time. This year I get home on Nov. 30th and will have time to get them up before I leave again on Dec 13th.

- Response by bigdog52, A Father Figure, Male, 56-65, Oklahoma City, Science / Engineering

I also forgot to mention. Decorating the house inside and out has nothing to do with the warmth of the love and comfort that thrives there. Let the little ones make decorations to put up all over...Have a ball and just relax. The light will shine from inside you. The outside of the house, that's no biggie.

Usually do, yes.:-) My motherand father did wehn we lived in a house and has a little porch, we had lights around the railing and that.And in the front alcove was a picture window,and so everyone could see our big ol' tree.;-)

Now, I live with my husband and 2 other relatives in a totally different part of the country and we are all low in money.But I do hope we will put up some lights, and we almost always get a tree.
I wish *we* could help you put your lights up-lights in themselves are not a big dela, but the tradition you and your family always had is important, and the lights and all,are cheery and make us feel good.
So in that sense decoration is not trivial.
Can someone else in your group help you this time?(if you do still want lights up that is!) I'm sure someone would assist?

- Response by springrain13, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65

Yes I manage senior apt bldg and I do the whole front of the bldg thnx

- Response by schnurm, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession