Thank you for your many years of support. We want to share the news with you that after much consideration, will cease operations in its present format on October 15th. We appreciate your meaningful contributions over the years.
Back to Home

Active Questions

Illegal work practices
Career / 2:08 PM - Saturday November 20, 2010

illegal work practices

Where do I go to make a formal complaint against my company? I work for a very well known investment banking company and I believe what they are asking of their call center reps are illegal. Basically , we set up tasks under microsoft outlook that we have to check up on for future dated transactions. There are usually about 20 or so tasks to do per day, on top of checking every single transaction you do that day to make sure it went through correctly. They had a big meeting the other day telling us that we need to make sure to do our checkups and tasks on OUR OWN TIME. and that it is our responsibility as phone reps to make sure everything went through correctly. They said things like come in a little early, or do it on your breaks and lunch (which is 30min long by the way) or stay a little late, but they made sure to emphasize that it doesnt count as overtime OR normal hours. that it is something that should be done during the day (which is nearly impossible with the volume of calls we get thrrough a day). They basically are telling us that if we cant get it done in the day when we are reciveving phonecall after phonecall that we should do it on our own time. which in my mind is completely illegal. I refuse to work for free.

- Asked by Female, 26-28

Read more about the Rating System

If you get paid by the hour it probably is illegal. If you are a salaried employee then it is not illegal.

- Response by maryea, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Retired

Rating Received:

Community Rating: Community Star

So, quit.

A company has a right to ask its employees to work on their own time. Whether grading papers for school children or developing work skills to better your performance.

I can see their logic in having you do it on your own time. 20 tasks is work, but it is work you have the option of doing or not doing. The choice is entirely yours.

- Response by desota18, A Creative, Male, 22-25, Student

Rating Received:

That's against labor relations laws. I'm sure this was all done verbally in order to avoid accusations of criminal wrong doing.

- Response by joybird, A Creative, Female, Who Cares?, Therapist

Rating Received:

I don't think it's illegal, but it is bad working practice.

If I was you I'd work exactly to my contract no more and no less that way they can't penalize you for doing things wrong you are doing what you signed up to do

- Response by psychoticbabe1, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Other Profession

Rating Received:

if you are paid by the hour, it's illegal for them to demand that you work overtime or off-clock. They can ask as a favor but they can't demand or punish you if you refuse. In most cases you'll need something like an email or written memo or even several of your fellow employees to corroborate your statements.

The US has plenty of lawyers specializing in labor law and regulations. Most will do a free initial consultation. I'd start there. The phone book or internet is a good resource for that.

- Response by cosmicdog0, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Denver, Science / Engineering

Rating Received:

Asking you to work on your own time, off the clock, is illegal in the US. If you are actually working more than 40 hours per week, counting the extra hours, then you should be paid time and a half for all the extra time.

In the US, the Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division, is always looking for such cases. The investigators get "atta boys" for finding and fixing that kind of violations.

The DOL does not tell the employer who complained or if they found out somewhere else. They often require that back pay at time and a half is paid for all the hours worked in addition to a fine and a promise not to do it again.

The DOL probably has an office in your area. Or go on-line to find them.

- Response by greenwind, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Construction

Rating Received:

Go to the labor board in your state and file a complaint they will have to change it.

- Response by Ghostrider8t0, A Guy Critical, Male, Who Cares?, Technical

Rating Received: