Back to Home

Active Questions

Allergy - but only to earrings?
Diet & Health / 6:20 PM - Friday November 19, 2010

Allergy - but only to earrings?

Over the years I have developed an allergic reaction to earrings. I've tried expensive gold earrings, cheaper earrings, even the hypoallergenic kind bother me. My earlobes start to feel inflamed and sore to the touch almost immediately after putting in earrings, and they stay like that for a day or two afterward. I take precautions when I put earrings in and properly sterilize my ears as well as the earrings, but it always happens. Anyone have any suggestions on what this could be and/or how to solve the problem?

Btw, I can wear any other kind of jewelry (rings, bracelets, necklaces, etc.) even the really cheap kind that will turn your skin green and it won't bother me at all, just with earrings. Thanks!

- Asked by A Hippie Chick, Female, 26-28, Student

Read more about the Rating System


It has to do with the 'hole' in your ear. When you get hypo-allergenic earrings, make sure that the 'entire earring' is hypo-allergenic, not just the part that goes through your ear piercing. Being exposed to the 'hole' in your skin/ear is causing that and it is why you don't have the same problem with jewelry that you wear other places/necklaces/rings/ watches/etc.

- Response by seajaih, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

Rating Received:


I have the same problem. It's usually an allergy to nickel. Most earrings irritate my ears. I only wear earrings for short periods of time usually. I had hoops forever that I got put in at a piercing place and they are the only ones that didn't irritae my ears at all. They had to slighlty stretch my holes to put them in and you don't take them out. I had to have them taken out by the piercer when I had my daughter b/c I couldn't get the bead out and you have have them out for surgery(c-section). Then I had to go back afterwards to have them put back in. I like them though. I just can't mix match earrings with outfits and stuff. I wear the same basic hoops everyday but it's better than an itchy ear lobe.

- Response by misskitty420, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Student

Rating Received:

Community Rating: Community Star

I knew a woman with a similar condition or situation. She had to wear ear rings with 18K posts or surgical steel posts.

She also had to clean her ears daily with peroxide.

- Response by buffer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Los Angeles, Retired

Rating Received:


I had the same problem as you when I was younger and it went on for years.
Each time I pierced my ears it got all inflamed even though I used gold/hypoallergenic earrings.
And every time I had to let the "hole" heal and with time it would close up.

The reason why this happened was because I got them pierced in a damp/humid environment and the "hole" was easily inflamed and sensitive. So if you live somewhere where humidity is high then take care.

How You Should Fix This:
Take the advice of the first answerer...if it doesn't work and your ears stay inflamed try to ask for a cream that you can find at any drugstore (I dont know the name of the one I used but it really helped)

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Glasgow, Technical

Rating Received:


You have a severe case of contact allergy to anything on your earlobes. It's not unusual for this type of allergy to happen on only one part of the body and not the rest. All jewelry has some kind of alloy in it, so it could be your allergic to those alloys on your earlobes. Don't be surprised in your later years you do develop a reaction on your neck, arms and fingers from jewelry.

- Response by msadvise, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Transportation

Rating Received: