Degrees and Relationships...
Dating / 1:01 PM - Thursday November 18, 2010

Degrees and Relationships...

Do guys put a lot of emphasis on women with college education/degrees? Like, say if the woman has an Associates, and he has a Bachelor's or Masters--is she considered "not worthy" b/c of the type of degree she chose? Do men think that they'll have to "support" the woman if she has a different academic background?

Update: November 18, 2010.
I'm loving the responses! Keep them coming! :D

No. THinking in terms of status and "not worthy" is a female thing, not a male thing. Intelligent men value intelligence(and un-intelligent men do not), but degrees, which is to say societal recognition of intelligence and the status that comes with that, are pretty much meaningless. It is fairly common for educated women to refuse to get involved with less-educated men. The reverse is rare: men value women for 1) looks, and beyond that 2) anything that would make a good friend. Degrees do not figure into either one of those.

- Response by unluckyloveatfirstsighter, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Artist / Musician / Writer

I have never put stock in having a degree. nor would ever look down on someone for not having a certain level of education.
some of the smartest people I know only have a G.E.D.

- Response by proteus, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Pittsburgh, Who Cares?

I value quality of everything, and quantity of nothing.

- Response by buffer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Los Angeles, Retired

I value education to an extent. It seems we can share similar college experiences and it tells me that she is committed to something. I have a master's degree but would never look down on ANYONE who had a bachelor's or even an equivalent from a community college because it shows they were interested in a broader education.

Anyone who would hold their level of education over you is fooling themselves with the process. It's easy to regurgitate information into a paper or fumble your way thru a test. It's the ones who actively funneled their education in a real world practical use are the ones with real intelligence. A woman with no academic background may have entered the work world earlier. Experience counts on all levels.

- Response by zerotohero2, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

Never dated a woman who didn't plan on going to college, was attending college or had a college degree, depending on my own age at the time.

Not because she had to earn a living or I'd have to support her. My wife graduated top of her class and is one class away from a masters, has been since we married. She's never worked a day of our marriage.

Her education was important to me because she is the primary provider for my children. People always commment on how well behaved my children are, how wel spoken, how confident they are in themselves. Those are all traits that a child learns from their primary care giver and that is not going to be ingrained from someone you pay to do the job.

- Response by A Life of the Party, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

From my personal expereience, men don't really care whether or not their gf is college educated. They are after a good woman, not after a degree. I find it unlikely that it would be the deciding factor on if they would be worthy enough to date them.

Women on the other hand seem to care more about men with a higher education. I could care less though. Degrees aren't important to me (except for a high school degree). A man who works hard at what he does, is what's important.

- Response by pinkjoy25, A Thinker, Female, 26-28

A lot of males are totally undateable; these undateable ones are the ones who won't care what sort of education you have because they want you and all women to spend their lives barefoot and pregnant. If you have nothing going for yourself, these males will think that you'll be more likely living your life the way they want you to live it.

The men who ARE good potential significant other material WILL want a woman who has some accomplishments to show for her life; if it looks like you haven't achieved anything in your life worth having, you're not good relationship material in their eyes--and rightly, I think. It's not a matter of having to support you; it's more that they want someone who's capable of being a partner to them in EVERY sense of the word and someone who has nothing to show for herself is less likely to be this full partner.

I have another questioned based on this. I am currently focusing on gettin my masters and am in the second semester. My boyfriend has only a high school diploma with no desires of going to college. I feel that he is jealous of my achievements and is always trying to find some way to bring me down about my education because of his jealousy. I could care less about the education as long as he has a job to help out. However, sometimes I feel that this hurts our relationship. I am beginning to wonder if this is a barrier and should only consider dating men with college degrees or interest in the future; if all does not go well in this relationship.

- Response by A Career Woman, Female, 26-28, Houston

depends on what his personal values are, I know education in my relationship is very important. He has a BS and I am working on one as well

- Response by attenuation, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Cincinnati, Financial / Banking