Kids should be required to say the pledge.
Race, Religion & Politics / 11:57 PM - Saturday November 06, 2010

If kids don't learn to respect their roots now, will they ever? They are forced to learn math, science, history, language arts. They don't get to choose that...
Bottom line...they don't have the same rights as adults do.
Thoughts?

Update: November 07, 2010.
Some of you need to stay current...Some of you actually get it. Those of you who don't like it here, you can always pack up and make a living in some other country. But you won't get free healthcare, you're guilty until proven innocent and you will have to learn their language. By Karen Gullo and Joel Rosenblatt March 11, 2010 (Bloomberg) -- Reciting the Pledge of Allegiance with its reference to God in public schools doesn't violate the U.S. Constitution's separation of church and state, a federal appeals court ruled. This was ruled in 2010. The U.S. Court of Appeals in San Francisco disagreed with Michael Newdow, an atheist who sued a school district near Sacramento, California, challenging the use of the phrase "under God" in the pledge. "We hold that the Pledge of Allegiance does not violate the establishment clause because Congress' ostensible and predominant purpose was to inspire patriotism," the court panel said in today's 2-1 decision. "For this reason, the phrase 'one nation under God' does not turn this patriotic exercise into a religious activity." In a separate case brought by Newdow, the appeals court ruled today that printing the motto "In God We Trust" on U.S. currency and coins is also constitutional.

- Asked by mermaid0202, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45, San Diego, Science / Engineering

This country, It USED TO BE America...
Where ya' been? Things got different.

Only thought I had while reading your post is that kids are NOT forced to learn math, science, history, language arts EVER.

That is the problem. That is why we are turning out idiots from High School. The system has dumped every good learning tool, educators have ever had. Ex: What happened to using phonetics to learn to read and spell. It is now gone. Ex: Why don't the kids have to learn cursive writing any longer? Etc. Etc.

As far as saying the Pledge, I think it is a sin that our country has come to this. Where our children are not made aware of the words to the Pledge of Allegiance. That is the main reason I think they should be saying it. To learn it and to KNOW it.

But, before I will put up a fight over THAT, I will fight for their right to be taught simple, fundamental, things that we all had JUST two generations ago. We are producing FUNCTIONING ILLITERATES.

Sure, take god out of it and I'm fine.

If you're muslim, or any other member of any other faith (or lack thereof) it's very offensive to make them pledge to a nation represented by a christian god they do not believe in.

I never said the god part in school. Once I got to high school and found out the Supreme Court ruled I didn't have to say it I never did again.

- Response by desota18, A Creative, Male, 22-25, Self-Employed

'The Pledge of Allegiance of the United States is an oath of loyalty to the national flag and the republic of the United States of America, originally composed by Francis Bellamy in 1892. The Pledge has been modified four times since then, with the most recent change adding the words "under God" in 1954.'

I don't recollect any mention of said Pledge in the Constitution.

Oh, yeah...it wasn't written until about 100+ years later.

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

No math, science, etc are educational and actually are relevant to life. The pledge is meaningless and not to offend but overwelmingly stupid.

- Response by A Rebel, Male, 36-45

In 1943, it was illegal to require schookids to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
I don't know when that changed.

Thomas Jefferson himself was opposed to mandatory loyalty oaths, saying they are a violation of our rights under the Constitution. The Pledge of Allegiance is certainly a loyalty oath.
During the Civil War, administering loyalty oaths to Southrons was questioned for its legality.

Why? is it like the alphabet? Didn't every traitor we ever had grow up saying the pledge of allegiance?

It's an affirmation of God. Which is against the Constitution. I vote no.

If anyone is to be forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, then first the Pledge should be corrected.

Children certainly do not have the same rights as adults.

- Response by lyon, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Boston, Self-Employed