Grumpy/snappy boyfriend
Dating / 9:26 PM - Monday November 01, 2010

grumpy/snappy boyfriend

my boyfriend has been increasingly grumpy and snappy at me lately, I know he's under stress at work and have been trying to help out where I can with both his work and home-life, but it's really starting to get me down, I'm treading on eggshells around him in case I set off an argument, usually about something stupid.
I have asked him why and he say he doesn't know, he's not meaning to be snappy with me. I am thinking of suggesting we have some time apart from each other, not break up but just have some space. I guess I'm hoping he'll work out his problems and go back to his usual self. What do you guys think I should do?

- Asked by carnivalqueen, An Alternative Girl, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

He sounds overwhelmed and that maybe - on top of everything else - he is feeling pressure to live up to some expectation of yours, which he feels but may not be able to articulate. Lots of that going around actually.

Give him space, without drawing attention to it, and just "be there" a bit less or less often.

He just needs to feel less pressure. And a woman asking "what's wrong" is NOT less pressure...

- Response by A Career Man, Male, 36-45

Hey long time no see! Yes, YOU definitely need a break. Maybe take a week away from him so that he can somehow reenergize or at least you can reenergize and be around positive people!

Don't let him drag you down into his misery. Giving his problems too much attention gives his problems lots of power in your relationship. It's important for you to be there for him when he calls, but first you gotta be there for yourself. If he's pulling you down, take some time for yourself and go have some fun. Treat yourself to something that fills the emotional happiness that he would usually have given you. Catering to his every cry makes you more of a mom than a girlfriend. He'll man up because he'll realize the way you treat yourself is how he should be treating you. Follow your bliss and be the strong woman he fell in love with. :]

- Response by adlibilda, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Science / Engineering

Find a FB and have some good quality time away from the asshole.

- Response by shanegalang, A Rebel, Male, 66 or older, Consulting

I wouldn't outright say "let's have time apart"... my bf says that if he ever heard that from me it'd be done right there.

Just distance yourself a bit, do your own thing, but don't make a big deal out of it. Give him space but make sure he knows you're still available to him when he has a moment or needs you.

- Response by silverimp, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Toronto, Veterinary

Let him be a Grouchy Bastard..... When he acts Dumb...walk away..... It really isnt worth the stress