Can stress make you sick. I mean physically sick?
Diet & Health / 5:07 PM - Monday October 25, 2010

It just occurred to me that the amount of stress I've been under in the last year is most likely the reason for all my stomach problems. Sheeesh

Stress can absolutely make you sick. As a matter of fact, it will usually manifest itself in stomach problems. Many times, doctors will evaluate the level of stress a person suffering from stomach pain is experiencing before testing or treating for anything else. There are quite a few medications that can be prescribed for treating high levels of stress and anxiety. I suggest you talk to your doctor and see what can be done. Stomach problems are no fun. Good luck and feel better soon!

- Response by advicemadegz, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25

Yes. It absolutely can. 'Stress' can lead to a person getting cancer if it goes on long enough----and the person under the stress ignores all the signs and symptoms long enough. Defining 'stress' can be tricky, however---and everyone's RESPONSE to stress is different.

But you better start looking at making some life-style changes, or at least, get help for your response to the stress within your life.

- Response by ocelotspot, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

Yes. My sister used to work at store that catered to "in-a-hurry" business people, and she was good at it. The customers loved her, but unbeknownst to her, her boss hated her.

For some strange reason, every morning she'd become sick to her stomach, and barely make it to work. It was only after she had secured employment with a job that she loved that she realized that her "stomach problem" had disappeared.

I read somewhere long ago that when a person does not listen to what their spirit is trying to tell them via their emotions, the body will then kick in to "help."

Follow your instincts. You already know.

Good luck!!

- Response by husband, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Transportation

Yes

- Response by jillopo, An Alternative Girl, Female, 66 or older, Peshawar, Other Profession

Yes absolutely it can and does.

for sure. you can be very sick from chronic stress.
-bad skin, breakouts etc.
-stomach problems, nausea, diarrhea etc
-high blood pressure
and if the stress continues, you are looking at stomach ulcers etc. not good.

also good stress is seen by the body the same as bad stress. good stresses are getting married, moving, new job etc. good things but still very stressful. we must find a way to help us burn off the stress. spend time with friends, family, pets, working out etc...

go here for more info on what is most stressful to us

http://en.wikipedia.org /wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_s tress_scale

- Response by fondacox, A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45

Being stressed can actually make you sick.. Stress and depression can be a major cause for a lot of illness. My past few years stress for my undergrad studies got me all insomniac and unbalanced diet. Now, I can't even go to bed until 4:30 am at night cause I just can't sleep.. Gives me migraine probs a lot of times.

Hope you feel and get better soon and try not taking too much stress :).

- Response by sanaf87, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 26-28, Toronto

yes it can.
depends on if it is good stress or bad stress.
bad stress will actually make you want to give up and feel really bad
will pray for your illness.

Stress can have a lot of effects on your health including stomach problems. It weakens your immune system.

- Response by psychoticbabe1, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

Sure. Up your vitamins and get more sleep.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stress could easily do it. It did it for me.

Certainly.

Stress releases very harmful substances within your body. So much so that mothers to be that are exposed to extremely stressful situations or are wired for stress have unhealthier babies...sometimes tragically so.

- Response by vabyss, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

It is worse than any disease I think. And if you think about it, it is the Easiest thing to get rid of. It is your choice to be stressed and some people are not bothered at all. I sure am and know I need to overcome stress. I was watching Dr. Oz one day and he said it can kill you even.

Differently stress causes various health issues..

Stress can make you sick, irritable, knots in the stomach, Always sleepy. If you have these, you have stress. I wish you the best of luck, and get well real soon. Cheers from Down-Under..

- Response by oldman52, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Sydney, Retired

Yes definitely. It can cause ulcers, lowering your resistence to colds and other illnesses

Talk to your doctor. Stress is the most debilitating to one's body because it effects so many areas. Stress can alter your brain chemistry, effect your blood pressure, and your heart. It tightens up your muscles, making you feel achy all over. And Stress can kill over time.

- Response by rhunt0210, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

It can Make you sick....sometimes worse

stress can not only make you sick, it CAN kill you too!

The mind is linked with the stomach in Chinese medicine, so it's well known in China that too much worry, thought or obsessive thought can and does effect the stomach, digestion and in time the heart.

Learn t meditate and calm down.

Absolutely! I have been mobbed and bullied at work for years and my health has taken a steep decline. Gained untold weight and in a deep, deep depression. I am on heavy medications and talk therapy and slowly inching my way out. I have missed all kinds of work due to all types of physical ailiments. I learned from all this that money is not everything but your mental health is! Looking for a new, less stressful job. I can live simply.

- Response by blossoming1, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Seattle, Civil Service