Why does my car jerks when put into reverse?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 3:01 AM - Friday October 22, 2010

I got Sonata 2000 6 cyl. When I try to reverse my car it doesnt move until I force the gas pedal in order to move. When im on a little hill or something i have to really force it to go into reverse from park. And when i do it it jerks and also sometimes even on flat ground it still shakes.

- Asked by bluerain, A Guy Critical, Male, Who Cares?, Student

When's the last time you ever had your transmission serviced????? You know....filter changed, fluid and so forth....thus the reason for things slow and stopping up?

Perhaps low on fluid maybe?

- Response by richard77, A Jock, Male, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

Try this: when you park on a hill, put on the emergency brake good and tight before you put the car in park. It sounds to me like you're letting the car coast up against the transmission 'stop' after you have shut the car off. This puts pressure on that 'stop' such that the transmission can be hard to get out of park when you want to drive again, and the car will also jerk when it comes off the stop. Most people don't know it's hard on the transmission when you let the car rest against the 'stop' like this. It's a weak part of the transmission that can break and be very expensive to fix. Either let the car come to rest with a tire against the curb (on a little hill) before you put it in park, or use that emergency brake first. Best wishes.

Your transmission may be giving out. Or motor mount is broken (the shaking). Have it looked at.

- Response by zerotohero2, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

It sounds like transmission problems.I just had to replace mine.

Called a transmission tune-up, check the fluids lately, linkage etc., get it to the shop, before you have buy a new tranny.

- Response by 2jacksam, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Denver, Self-Employed

Sounds like the torque converter, it's between your engine and transmission.

- Response by shanegalang, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, New Orleans, Transportation

I can ask my personal mechanic, he is really good..but it sounds like my car, and my car has a transmission problem. let me know.

- Response by jamiesangel777, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55