My friend didn't invite my kids to her kids party. Should I be upset.?
Friendship / 2:38 AM - Saturday October 16, 2010

My friend said she invited the whole class and that was too many kids to invite mine,she said she would invite them to a second party for friends and family at home. Our kids birthdays are 4 days apart and we always plan to have them on different days so that we can both attend but I guess this year she isn't inviting to the main party. Am I over reacting. May I also add is that one of our friends was invited.I feel really upset since I always try to accommodate her in everyway.

- Asked by y0477, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Toronto

You say that she is going to have a party for friends and family I think that is actually the bigger party.
Having the whole class come must feel overwhelming and going to the family party seems more personal.

The simple truth is that people invite others to their functions for a myriad of reasons.

And, by the same token, they do NOT invite people for many reasons. Often times, ESPECIALLY TODAY, is had to do with simple economics.

My point here is that life is too short to make a big deal out of something so really minor and unimportant. It surely should NOT ruin friendships. You should be doing what you do, based upon how YOU feel; not upon whether or not THEY invited you or your child to something.

Well I can understand your concern.I believe you should not take notice of this as it will reflect your own personality. U must be thinking above that....make your kids an example that these are petty things in life.... and in case u have a kid party at home do invite them as this will show your broadmindedness.cheers and take it easy....

- Response by sajid, A Creative, Male, 36-45, Managerial

Instead of getting mad, you've learned something about this friend. It's time to stop always trying to accommodate her in every way. Other than that, I'd take the high road & let her kids come to my planned party. I don't think the children should have to be punished for their mother's poor form. It was rather tacky for her to invite your other friend & her kids(I assume) without you knowing you are aware of it. Second party for friends & family makes it a little better but don't think the offense warrants ending the friendship. Might just be time to cool it down a bit & not take her friendship so seriously anymore.

You have only the the first half of the story: the first party. She says She is giving a second party. Give her a chance. It's very hard to know what a person is thinking. Let her prove her disloyalty only by a consistent display, not your perception. By the middle of the next month, you will have a more accurate understanding. Until then assume She is the same friend you knew her as. She may be making a move to include you in a closer circle of friends. You will know by the middle of next month.

- Response by johnbo, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Who Cares?