What would be your impression of a woman who calls her s/o her "partner"?
Career / 5:20 PM - Friday October 15, 2010

Just curious what everyone thinks of this. My (male) partner and I have been together for 7 years, and don't intend to marry. Calling him my "boyfriend" trivializes our relationship, in my opinion. But I don't call him my husband either, because we're not married. I'm a substitute teacher, and I use the title "Ms." at work. If it comes up in conversation in the staffroom, I'll say something like "my partner and I did such and such"...

It occurred to me that people might get the impression that I'm gay. Not that I really care, but just curious about what people think about this.

- Asked by steff81, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Teaching

Partner is infinitely preferable than most other soubriquets.

- Response by macaskill, A Creative, Male, 56-65, Toronto, Artist / Musician / Writer

No, I don't think "gay" when I hear the word partner. I think it's the S/O of the person speaking, but I don't assume they are the same gender.

After we get a certain age, the term Girl friend or Boyfriend comes across a bit silly.

Imagine the looks you get at 50 when you tell someone you have a boy friend. This is what I believe is the reason, but also the generics of it for legal purposes too.

- Response by buffer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Los Angeles, Retired

Actually if you said "partner" when referring to your boyfriend I would assume you were gay. This is how gay people refer to their boyfriend and/or girlfriend. Personally I have never understood this phase seeing as I think of a partner as someone I conduct business with not have SEX with!

Why not just say boyfriend seeing as this is what he is? I don't think this trivializes your relationship. More then likely people will ask how long you have been together and they will clearly see this is a serious relationship.

I call my S/O, my sweetie.

Yes, that does sound gay.

I completely understand what you are saying. The sad fact is that when almost anyone hears the word 'partner' used in a context like that, the "GAY!!" flag waves in their mind.

When I hear "partner" I also think the person is gay.

The only thing I can think of calling him is your boyfriend. Or your "man". But that last one sounds more silly than "boyfriend".

Call him whatever you want though. Just be prepared for people to assume you're gay or to ask questions if you refer to him as your "partner".

I don't care what other people think. The term partner is gender neutral. I have used it for years and I'm straight. Let other people assume what they want. All that is meaningless is you are in a relationship anyway and the pros of doing it is that all the married philanderers leave you alone.

- Response by joybird, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

DoNT WORRY TOO MuCH ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK< YoU LIvE A DECENT LIfe, BuggER THE rEST< D

I think if you're going to be in an exclusive relationship with someone for 7 years, you need to call them exactly what they are. Why do you feel calling him your boyfriend is trivializing your relationship? You're not married. You have no intention of getting married. So, why not just call him your significant other? I mean, that's what he is. Calling him a significant other pretty much explains that you simply aren't legally married, but in every other way you're together as a married couple would be.

Call him your man

"I had so much I had to do today so I sent my man to do the shopping"

sounds a lot better and no person would think your gay in fact they'd think the complete opposite because MAN is a very manly word! Also theres a lot you can do with that word you can sort of emphasize the Man and give it a little smile at the title . Man shows that you're young but not so young as to call him a boyfriend, and not so old as to call him your husband.

But if your still in a pickle just marry the guy!

- Response by awesomestkate, A Life of the Party, Female, 22-25, Pretoria, Artist / Musician / Writer

I should add that married men here still call their wives their partners, with pride.

And business partners are partners, too.

Partnership is directly stated that way.

Especially women, on ranches, where I grew up. A wife was a partner, in love, and in business, to the end.

- Response by naiveladyquestions, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

Im the same as u not married etc .I say "my partner" cause he is, serious longterm relationship . . may come down to where ppl live also. Some do refer there other as s/o here, Bf/defacto/my man/women/lady etc.... Have not heard or thought at all of others who refer there man/women as there partner as gay ...
I dont care what others think .. Say what u want to say hun.
cheers

I'm in a very unique situation. There is my wife me and her partner. I am her husband, we are legally married. Her partner is another man that we are in a committed relationship with.

- Response by A Life of the Party, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?