If you bring dessert or a food item over for dinner at someones house and it goes untouched..
Sex & Intimacy / 6:43 PM - Sunday October 10, 2010

if you bring dessert or a food item over for dinner at someones house and it goes untouched..

are you allowed to bring it home with you or is that poor etiquette? im wondering if the angel food cake strawberries and cool whip are still at my house that my bro and his wife brought over today or if they brought it home with them since we didnt have time for dessert.their baby got fussy and they had to rush home. what are your thoughts? i guess it's considered tacky or cheap to take back what you brought as an offering. Just need to know for future reference if this happens to me.
Thanks! if it's a bottle of wine that you are bringing back home is that acceptable?

- Asked by distressedchick, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Boston, Managerial

It was a gift, and you don't take back "gifts"...

- Response by siouxzen, A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Guadalajara, Self-Employed

I've never taken something home, that I've brought to someone's house. :)

lol!
My ex sil once poured the remaining potato chips from the bowl (she brought), back into the bag she brought them in, when she was leaving my house after a get-together...
AND I thought I had seen everything!
(they were store brand too)

- Response by wendyshoefitz123, A Player, Female, Who Cares?

You should always leave what you brought. If you have a dish U need back ask the host for something to put the leftovers in. The contradiction to this is after the party if you are helping with cleanup, many times the host will say 'take this' BC they dont have room or whatever.

- Response by rayannem86, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Hospitality

Ask them if they'd like to keep it and eat it, or if it will go to waste, especially if they are family members or close friends. Sometimes people end up with too much food or wine, and don't eat or drink that type of food or beverage, so will be glad for you to take it back home and use it. I don't like wasting food, so I don't have a problem asking the host if they want it or not. Now if you are giving a bottle of wine as a hostess gift, it would be a different story, and in bad taste to take it back home with you. But otherwise I think it's fine to ask.

- Response by abitspoiled, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

With all of my friends, if I've brought any food items that are uneaten, they will have me take home my leftover. And if they want any, they will take some and have me take the rest. This is because they don't want a bunch of left over food at their house. In fact, sometimes I'm taking some of their food home because there is too much left over. As for dessert, if it was untouched, then you ask what they want to do with it. Meaning, you'd like to take some home for later or if they want only some and you take the rest home to get fat on. (ha ha). If you're dealing with family and friends this is not a "no no" to do. If you're going to house a dinner or party for which you are not friends with the hostess, then you always bring something with the expectation that you won't take any home, which means you don't use your own dishes when bringing the food. You ALWAYS leave the wine at their house unless they want you to take the remainder home. If you want the wine that bad, either don't spend that much money or buy a second bottle for yourself for at home.

in a case like your's...family situation, I would offer to split it, so neither is offended.

- Response by nysbikergirl, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Usually you leave it unless the host says otherwise.

I always bring ice cream to summer parties. No way to bring it home.

That said, yes I would have no qualms about bringing back unopened soda and similar items. I would treat it as an indoor picnic.

I'd probably still leave the beer for hosts to enjoy later. :) Wine stays with the hosts as well.

- Response by wiseleo, A Life of the Party, Male, 29-35, San Francisco, Consulting

any food left over after a party is automatically up for grabs. The only thing I expect returned when I bring food to a get together is my dishes.

- Response by eye82, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Military

I am totally concerned what other folk think of me so I wouldnt take anything home, I brought it, its expendable, My generosity is more important to me,Its also good manners