My boyfriends parents dont like me and are trying to break us up. what should i do?
Dating / 6:34 PM - Sunday October 03, 2010

they are saying i use him for money and i control him. He only buys me dinner, and i ask for him to do things for me, not command. Our relationship is to serious and i dont want to give it up for anything. His little sister is making me sound like im the biggest bitch and he can find better. I dont think i treat him bad at all, and when we are together, we couldnt be any happier.

Update: October 03, 2010.
I am from a low income family and they are rich, they stereotyped me from the start. I dont know what i can do to prove to them that im not a bad person

Update: October 03, 2010.
neither of us live with our parents, but i still dont think either of our parents should be getting involved. But i believe what our parents think about who we are with is a big deal and effects us.

- Asked by An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25

If either of you still live with or answer to your parents, you are to young to be in a relationship.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?

It is a big deal. And, you right; his parents liking you matters greatly!

I would just say that without their blessing, your relationship does not stand a very good chance of succeeding.

I would also tell you that SONS care much more about parents and family approval than DAUGHTERS do. How you handle this is up to you. I would try and change their mind, if I wanted a life with him.

You need to look at it from someone else's perspective to completely understand the parents. You're young and parents will always have their own views and opinions, especially when it comes to their children's relationships - it's natural and I'm sure you can understand that.

If they have preconceived notions of you, you have to ask yourself why that is? Have they seen such behaviour from you OR has your boyfriend gone back and relayed things to them that will have clouded their view of you? - If there has been an argument or minor problems your boyfriend may have complained about it to his parents or his sister and as a result they will have built up their own view of what you must be really like.

There's no need for it to get out of hand; it's a relationship, you're young and nothing is set in stone.

If the problems are really that series then you just need to be adult about it, sit down with them and have a chat; what is the real underlying problem and once you find that out how can it be resolved. By arguing, being unhappy and getting stressed about it will resolve nothing.

By proving your being adult about it proves that there's nothing to get stressed about.

Even ask your boyfriend if he is concerned about anything; maybe you have been doing things that you've not meant to do if so ask him and resolve it.

Talking is the only way to proceed or you'll never get anywhere with anything.

Hope this helps? V

- Response by vwoman, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Student