How much is a normal electric bill?
House & Home / 7:09 PM - Friday October 01, 2010

How much is a normal electric bill?

My wife and I live in a 1600 square foot house that
is 8 years old, BUT the washer, dryer and refrigerator are 20 years old. All the other appliances came with the house and are 8 years old.
Our bill this month is $126.93.
We have friends that spend $200 or more per month.

What do you pay?
How big is your house or apartment?

Update: October 01, 2010.
We have all electric appliances and electric central heating/air conditioning.

Update: October 01, 2010.
I told you what our total bill was. It breaks down like this $107.14 for electricity about 10.63 cents/kilowatt hour. $15.50 garbage pick up and $4.29 Alabama utilities tax. We are not environmental extremist. I am not going to throw away perfectly good appliances just to replace them with more energy efficient ones. I don't see the advantage to pay $1000 to buy a refrigerator that saves only $10 a month. I hope that by the time we need to replace those old appliances, there will be even more efficient ones that we can buy. I do replace the incandescent light bulbs with compact florescent bulbs where I can.

- Asked by screenname256, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Managerial

Normal? LMAO.. No such thing.... Mine normally runs well over 200. During the summer 500 is not unheard of. 2 months ago I switched providers. With the outside temps remaining fairly constant and not changing the thermostat settings inside, I saved an easy 200 on the first full bill from the new provider.

Read the fine print, and watch the KWH price. There is no such thing as normal or even average. What you can do tho is check the price per KWH.

That's not bad!

An energy-efficient washer, dryer and fridge, MIGHT bring it down a little, but I don't think you'll get your bill much under $100.00. Those electric companies will do anything and everything to make you pay more...

I have a 950 sq. ft 2-bedroom condo with a closed in porch; I'm on "budget billing," and my bills circle around $60.00 a month. So, you're not doing badly! (Of course, in Florida, these utility companies are total rip-offs.)

I live in a 1260+ sq ft condo and my electric bill for Sept was $125. It decreases by more than half when I turn off the A/C. But it was 108 degrees today with triple digits forecast for the weekend, so the A/C will stay on for a while!

My house is by far, much larger than yours, and it's perhaps much more energy efficient in a given sense. It's not a matter of what you pay, but rather the comfort your home may be versus the homes of others who pay a bit more, and the square footage one much cool and heat. I reckon you might keep your settings lower, and the cooling system may not kick on as often because of the cooler temps during the night/day in your state.

Now....the price of a kilowatt may be lower in an area such as a city, than those in a rural coop. You may or may not be using as much kilowatts as those with a higher rate.

Oh....167.04.....but irrelevant considering the price of a kilowatt could be different.

On a side note.....you could have installed by far, more energy efficient appliances in your present home and perhaps gained a lower monthly bill.....rather than drag in ancient appliances from your previous dwelling. In other words....you could have done better....seeing as how you are in the land of Dixie....

- Response by richard77, A Jock, Male, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

I wish ours was $200. We live in a 1,900 sq foot home built in 1986.....very common in the summer to have a $400+ bill

- Response by scooper, A Sportif, Female, 46-55, Dallas, Who Cares?

That is a good bill for your square footage. (If there is such a thing as a good bill.) My last electric bill was $122.27, and I live in an apartment. And I don't use the air conditioning very often.

My house is 2000 sq ft, there are 3 of us living here. My electric bill has been almost 200 all summer. I have central air, though in the winter I have gas heat and my bill stays about the same sometimes more. The strange thing is my bill runs more now then it did 2 yrs ago when there were 7 people living here. I have called and questioned my bill though they always tell me they compared the bills from past years an it runs average. Though, my bill has dropped to 115 a few times before without us changing anything in our normal everyday routine. I have no choice but to pay them and I only have 1 utility company for my area.

- Response by blindshe, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

That sounds reasonable. Our house is alot bigger than yours and our washer, dryer is less than 10, and refrigerator is 3 or 4 years old. But our gas and electric bill ranges from $200-$300.

This applies to the summer only. I just moved in in April, but my highest bill was $135. My house is just over 1000 sq feet. My furnace and water heater are gas. I'm not sure how much difference it makes. I will say that in the summer my thermostat stays at 76% which is higher than anyone else I know. I'm in Ohio. I'm sure climate makes a huge difference.

- Response by jess2481, A Life of the Party, Female, 36-45, Cincinnati, Other Profession

Our house is bigger than yours. Our bill goes from about $70 in the summer to about $200 in the winter.

Well, my square footage is close to yours and I would be happy with YOUR bill.

I pay at least $450 a month for utilities (gas and electric). In the summer that is mostly AC and in the winter it is mostly heating.

I do hope that you are not complaining about your bill.