Things were different 30 years ago...
Diet & Health / 12:38 AM - Thursday September 30, 2010

Things were different 30 years ago...

Things were different re: teen girls getting pregnant. There was a girl in my class (1982) who was pregnant and in the 10th grade. Back then, teen pregnancy was shocking and rare. Today, it seems so prevalent, and reality shows are jumping on the band-wagon during this terrible epidemic!

- Asked by suzyscorp, A Trendsetter, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

2-1/2 years ago when my teen son and his girlfriend were pregnant, the high school counselor was working with 20 additional teens in the same situation that school year. I'm not certain of the current statistics, but a majority of teens have had sex with more than one partner by the time they graduate from high school. Even with free birth control and massive education, teens are still finding themselves expecting babies.

My son and his girlfriend attended their junior year of high
school with the baby & mother growing, and their senior year of high school with an infant child. Even so, in this fairly small community, they were voted as homecoming Queen and Prince. My husband and I were, quite frankly, surprised. In our day, the rare pregnant teen who still attended school was not held in high esteem. Things certainly have changed in 30 years.

- Response by WAPenPal, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

I'm not sure it was so different. Human nature doesn't change. The biggest difference is that pregnant teenagers were hidden away and their babies given up for adoption and nobody talked about it. Or they had illegal abortions and nobody talked about it. Or there was a shotgun wedding and nobody talked about the bride being knocked up. I think there is no more stigma attached to this, so it's all out in the open.

I totally agree with you that these stupid reality TV shows about teen aged mothers are not helpful. They pretend that they are showing kids how tough it is to be a teen mom, but really, all the audience sees is a group of young girls who got their own TV show, and everybody is so sympathetic to their plight, and "Oh, what a cute baby!" Giving so much positive attention to these teen moms is not a good way to discourage other girls from going down the same path.

Well if there were 999 channels back then there would be just as much prevalence back then. We are getting better.

And drop out rates where a lot lower than they are now. The US was ranked a lot higher in terms of education back then.

- Response by cosmicdog0, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Denver, Science / Engineering

Yup... and sadly it looks like the pool of guests for shows like Jerry Springer and Maury Youarenotthefather Povich are steadily increasing.....

and these will be leading the world one day.... ;~/

There are no parents around. Now, there are many different reasons for the parents absence- but that is the main problem.

- Response by newyorkjoe, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Lawyer

I really can't help but to flirt with you! You're really hot!

Oh and I agree about the other thing. Its the society types making it okay for the acceptable number of young people that become pregnant.

- Response by quikslvr, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Washington, DC, Lawyer

Hell, things were different 55 years ago! People did not live together! They got married, for Pete's sake. And Pregnancies outside the marriage bed were hidden from public view by every artifice one could imagine. Yet, there were two teen pregnancies in my class before graduation from High School and we all knew about them. And we siblings found out right after our folks both died that they had never been married!!!!! They lived together for well over fifty years and nobody knew. rek

I agree, they pump out kids even tho they have 1. no job 2. no money 3. no husband 4. no education. They do have 1. free medical care, free formula, free food stamps, section 8 rent aid, and flavor of the month boyfriends. We must be the idiots.

- Response by A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Los Angeles, Medical / Dental

In our graduation year, I went to school with a girl who was pregnant and attempting to graduate(march) as her tummy got bigger, she denied being pregnant for fear of being put out of school, back then if you got pregnant, you were automatically kicked out of school and could not graduate!

this is election season and teen pregnancy rate is a politicians friend.
but the actual facts are a little closer to this..
The most recent American teen birth rate of approximately 51.1 births per 1,000 adolescent females is consistent with historical trends and matches the 1920 figure.

- Response by proteus, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55, Pittsburgh, Who Cares?

It was a LOT worse in the 50's and 60's. You didn't have many choices. If the parents of the girl couldn't help her and she couldn't find work the Government took the baby from you..

- Response by oldman52, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Sydney, Retired

Yes its pretty common and acceptable. Nobody is shocked. Its younger girls getting pregnant. I heard of 12 year olds having babys yes 12...