If you turn in counterfeit money to a bank ... will they pursue an investigation????
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 3:24 PM - Tuesday September 21, 2010

Of course, they're not going to reimburse you!

- Asked by mrscleaver16, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65

Its possible, I woiuld think they would have to contact the FBI though. If you had multiple deposits with fake money then maybe YOU are the one making bogus bills.

No, THEY won't pursue an investigation, they'll turn if over to the Secret Service to do that. While the Secret Service are primarily responsible for protecting the president and other national leaders, they also, for some reason, are responsible for investigating crimes regarding counterfeit money.

- Response by xerxes, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Washington, DC, Lawyer

I'm not sure. How could you prove that a customer gave it to you? How could prove that you aren't the source? Perhaps if you have an anti counterfeit policy maybe the bank could help you out. It's possible it goes under risk assessment and is considered a loss - just as a theft of merchandise would be. My guess is it's deducted at the end of the tax year and written off as a loss.

- Response by graziella, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Philadelphia, Artist / Musician / Writer

What is really sad is that a BANK handed my friend a counterfeit 20 bill the other day.

- Response by clorise7, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Fashion

- Response by myrtletyrtle, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Of course they won't and why should they? It isn't the bank's fault that someone accepted counterfault money.
Have a nice day.

- Response by mrsjack, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older

what do you mean, "IF"? Our entire economy has been run on counterfeit money since 1961, when President Kennedy took away our Silver Certificates, and replaced them with Monop...uh, excuse me, "Federal Reserve Notes"!!!

- Response by thundermist04167, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

Havnt come across any counterfit money myself but know of some who did along time ago. It was picked up whilst they were in a bank depositing money .. LOL . NO they were not rembursed in any way except asked many questions about where they got the note from etc Cops became involved.. scared the crap out of them..LOL

If they recognized the bill when you turned it in, I would expect them to take your name and furnish it to the feds so that they could either: beat a confession out of you, or: try to trace the bill back to the source by asking you nicely where it came from.

Hey My Smart Sis!!! NO THEY WILL NOT REINBURSE YOU and you'd better hope you or your company installed security camera's and you are good at reading the register tape to track back the transaction..........YO U WILL HAVE QUESTIONS TO ANSWER>>>>>>THE banks dont care if it is counterfeit and know companies get it but the authorities will have questions....SMART SIS!!!!!

- Response by blucat, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Executive

I know they investigate.They should.

I dont think so they call the FBI.

Oh, I imagine they would because they'd have to trace the money somehow. I don't see why they would reimburse anyone if the money is counterfeit because that's illegal. The SEC would have a field day with that, and whomever did the transaction could probably do some time.

- Response by daugenstine, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Political / Government