When can I expect my first paycheck at a new job?
Career / 12:39 PM - Tuesday September 21, 2010

I recently got a new job, and I start on Oct 4 (a Monday). My last day at my current job is Oct 1 (Friday).

I'm trying to figure out if there will be a paycheck gap, which would not be good! I get paid bi-weekly at both places; I am scheduled to get paid here at my old job this Friday, Sept 24. So when will my last paycheck from here be, and my first check from the new job? Anyone know?

Thank you!

- Asked by Female, Who Cares?

These are questions you should ask your employers. Ask the accountant or whom pays your checks at your present job and find out your first pay check date at your new job. How would anyone know the paying schedules of your company? lol Rosey

Often the payday is a week behind, so it would be 3 weeks after you started. Ask the company when payday is. You might get paid for one week on your 2nd week there.

You can expect to get paid the Friday after the end of the pay period. If the end of the pay period is October 9, you will get half of a check on the 15th. If the end i sthe 16th, you'll get a full check on the 22nd. Once you're hired this is a perfectly acceptable question to ask HR or your new boss.

- Response by hubbyochris, A Life of the Party, Male, 46-55, Cleveland, Executive

hun, that is a good question for your HR to give you.

My crystal ball says you will be paid October 1st

It depends on a couple of things, is your old job going to give you your last check on your last day or are they going to mail it to you or will you not get it until the date the rest of the checks are issued. As for you new job and new check you need to find out what day checks are issued on because the likelihood that they will cut you a special check is probably slim to none so if the pay period goes from sept 22 - Oct 5 and checks are issued on Oct 8 you would get paid that first week where as if the period were different you could be waiting 2-3 weeks before you get your first check.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but sounds like you ought to call the HR department if you really want a definite answer.

- Response by azuwish, A Rebel, Male, 36-45, St.Louis

ask your employer...

omg... is that SO impossible to figure out?

It certainly depends on the size and management of both places.

Mostly I have found that if they knew I was leaving, I got my final pay check the day I left. Exit interview, check. Sometimes they would send it out within a week.

The new place always has a delay. Usually, you work two weeks, then it takes a week to do the paperwork and they send give you a check. So, you get paid every two weeks, but it is a week off from when you actually worked.

When you start a new job, it depends on where they are in this cycle. If you start at the end of the two week work cycle, then the next payday, you get nothing since you haven't worked. Then you have to wait until the next pay day which will be two more weeks, or three total from when you started.

So, ask when you start.

Good luck

That's something to ask your bosses or Payroll Departments.

No one here knows when your paychecks will be coming from either place.

They're valid questions, but we would just be guessing here.