Some people just can't love themselves? WHY?
Diet & Health / 12:46 AM - Monday September 20, 2010

some people just can't love themselves? WHY?

they keep hurting themselves and spoiled themselves with unnecessary things - drugs,alcohol and etc.

- Asked by dzeusmitch, A Player, Female, 26-28, Hospitality

I never look in the mirror and think that I've done all I could in the day that was given to me. I see a guy who always could've done more. I have no idea where that comes from, but I feel like I'm constantly chasing my tail and I need to slow it down with substance abuse. I admit that my weakness is alcohol.

Why can't I love myself? Because I'm a work in progress and the love comes later when I can look back and genuinely feel an accomplishment.

- Response by zerotohero2, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

All of this is learned behavior at home in childhood. A lot of it was witnessed by children from their parents.

- Response by buffer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Los Angeles, Retired

They are self destructive ppl. and their problem runs so deep they need professional help along with the "want" to be helped.

- Response by dreamspinner, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Chicago

you forgot other unnecessary things ppl who hate themselves do such as cigarettes, fatty foods, being out of shape, not getting enough sleep, driving too fast, sun tanning, eating too much meat, having unprotected sex, so on

- Response by A Player, Male, 18-21, Other Profession

I personally prefer drugs,,,,
Theys much more funner!

- Response by stanorocks, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Denver, Therapist

And, following that vein of truth, why do so many choose to love others that do not either respect them, or love them back?

It's not a logical thing.Many have a low opinion of themselves due to parents who *also* had low opinions of themselves.It's not what they want to do--it's that the person deeply inside feels too much pain, and usually shame, or inadequacy so feels a little better with some kind of drug or addictive activity.
It doesn't really take the pain away, but they don't feel it fr awhile.Someone in the here and now loving the person may help some, but doesn't "cure" them, because the wound is deep and isn't truly helped that way.
Also, the same person who feels too sensitive and unable to cope with unbearable feelings, or, too mcuh tension will usually feel he or she would be weak, stupid, or unmanly to ask for help from a professional--which is something that would help more.

- Response by springrain13, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65

I call it abuseing themselves.Not spoiling.I agree.They are self destructive and will drag us down with them.