If there are contractors working at your next door neighbor's home making a mess on your property ..
House & Home / 1:01 PM - Thursday September 16, 2010

Do you talk to the contractors or to the homeowner???

OR just say nothing and hope it gets cleaned up before they leave???

Update: September 16, 2010.
Thanks everyone!! Great advice. The neighbors are never home when they have contractors here. They leave and don't come back until later .. leaving the neighbors to deal with their "employees". I did go out and nicely let the roofers know that their debris was flying into our A/C Unit and beyond and would appreciate them trying to avoid that. They looked a bit miffed at first, but said "Sorry" -- I guess I'll see how they leave things. If they don't clean up, I will talk to the neighbors, but they seldom care that much. Grrrr!

- Asked by mrscleaver16, A Married Girl, Female, 66 or older

Oh my, you are reminding me of a situation I had, pertaining to neighbor's neglect...can you call codes???
I might would tell the neighbors, if you have a decent demeanor with them...but if they do not say that they are going to clean it up, then building code ...would be KNOCKING on their door...

I would talk to both of them. I am a contractor and I make sure that my employees know the job site is to be cleaned every evening before they leave the site. Sometimes with the way subdivisions ahve been built it is virtually impossible to keep form getting debris on the adjacent properties. Make it a point to talk to your neighbor as well as the owner of the company oir the foreman on the job. A reputable contractor should accomodate your needs immediately.

- Response by painter3459, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Self-Employed

I would speak with the neighbor about it, and leave it to them to talk to the contractor.

Whatever you do, don't wait until they're done in the hopes that they'll clean up after themselves. The time to address it is now, before they leave and before it gets worse.

Wait for them to clean it up, roofers?

I'd talk to the neighbor.

talk to the contractor first....

- Response by themamu, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, Who Cares?

BOTH, bcz that's bullshit and a total lack or RESPRCT.

My approach would be to ay something friendly to the contractors first, and only address the homeowner if there was a problem after that.

- Response by monana, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

I most definitely would talk to both, nicely of course (at first).

- Response by youngfuddyduddy, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, New York, Who Cares?

You talk with the contractor to find out what is the plan for returning your property as they found it. (mess free)

- Response by birdland, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

Do you want my Bat!! Come out swinging!!!
Let'm have it!!! :)))))))

Only joking, only joking!!!

I would speak first to the Homeowner,
then approach the contractors. This way
you know that something was said to both.

If not come and get the Bat!!! LOL I'll help you!!! LOL :))))

- Response by helpful5714, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

I'd talk to the homeowner. The contractor works for them, not for you. I would go to the contractor if damage was being done and ask for an immediate halt; or if it was apparent that they would be done and gone soon.

I'd talk to the contractor and make sure he knows where you property line is, he might not know. After that I would tell him to clean up the mess right now or the police will be on there way.

- Response by bobboy, A Jock, Male, 66 or older, Retired

I would talk to the homeowner (the contractors are their "employees") It's the homeowner's responsibility to make sure they're keeping the jobsite (and surrounding areas) as neat as possible and that they leave your property exactly the way they found it.

Well if they are damaging your property in any way while they are working then I would contact your neighbor and voice your concerns. Otherwise I might wait and see if they will clean it up by the end of the day. If not, then again contact your neighbor and voice your concerns and how you would appreciate if they come back tomorrow to leave the mess on their property.

I would be speaking to the not just the workers but the owner of the contracting company. I would be telling him that I wanted my property cleaned of the mess his company had made before they left for the day... and that I was holding him responsible for any damage. I would also inform the neighbour of what I expect from his contractor. That would make me really irrate. Make sure you photograph the mess and damage, if there is damage. Rosey

Even better: if the contractors don't clean up, report them to the Better Business Bureau!

- Response by thundermist04167, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

I would talk to both. If they didn't clean up, instead of telling the neighbors, I would call the roofing company. If there is damage to your property from this I would see to it that they paid for it.

- Response by mrsjack, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older

I'd talk to both.

- Response by myrtletyrtle, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

I would talk to both of them. Just say I hope you are going to take the crap away when you are finished..

- Response by oldman52, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Sydney, Retired

Hey Sis!!! This spring I HELPED put a new roof on my place and I went to my neighbors and told them there would be mess but we would get it picked up ASAP so they would not be one more stressor BUT I would go to the homeowner they are the boss of the contractor and can go to them and say ...IF NOT call the city.....

- Response by blucat, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Executive

If you can't get results from the home owner get the number off the trucks of contractor and call in.The owner might make them be more careful.

I would gently speak with the contractor. That should clear things up - because they want to be seen as a good company to hire and if they are making a mess in your yard, I think they would be mortified to learn of it - because that is so bad for business - especially in this economy. If for some reason if it doesn't get resolved, call the number on the truck. If that doesn't work, then report them to the Better Business Bureau.

- Response by graziella, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Philadelphia, Artist / Musician / Writer

I would probably speak to the neighbor before speaking with the contractors. Hope everything gets cleaned up!

- Response by msgg, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Managerial

I would say it is up to the contractors.I know many contractors, and if they were doing that and did not realize it,they would clean it up and are responsible for it.
If you told them what they were doing,they should be more than happy to be more careful and clean up their mess.If not talk to the owners.

- Response by roanna, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Self-Employed

I wouldn't complain to your neighbors, it isn't their fault. I would contact the roofing company. They probably just sent out a crew of guys who don't speak much English. For what it's worth, the roofing job wont take forever. You could always write up a nasty review on Yelp. Sometimes that helps, sometimes not.

(After update)....If the roofers debris is still there and job appears finished while the contractors are packing up to leave and it seems the rubbish is not going anywhere send "joybird" to sort them all out. lol.. can u take pics for us all please Mrs Cleaver.. LOL....

My wife put on a pair of short shorts and a bikini top and took out a big pitcher of ice tea and not only did the guys gladly clean up their mess into the rolloff they had for debris, they cleared some yard waste from the back of our property into the roll off as well.

I wasn't exactly thrilled with her tactics, but it saved me a few hundred to have someone else haul away the yard waste in my yard.

- Response by A Life of the Party, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?