Any clue as to why the interviewer would mention 'other candidates' during the interview?
Career / 4:12 PM - Tuesday September 14, 2010

I went on an interview and both my original interviewer and the second person I met with kept mentioning in talking "if you are the right person for the job" or "provided that other candidates"...etc.
Obviously I am there and trying to get the job so the last thing I want to hear is "if you get the job over the other candidates" or similar lines.
I am a little confused as to why they would make a point to mention this. Additionally, I was called in by them directly.
I'm just starting to wonder.
Also, it's now been over 24 hours since my interview and I have not yet heard back.
Is this a bad sign?
I am assuming I should hear back if not today, then tomorrow.
I know they are probably interviewing others. I sent out my thank you letter by regular mail yesterday.

Okay you aren't getting the point they were trying to make based on your posts. They were letting you know by talking about the other canidates that they were going to take a bit more time and you shouldn't get upset if you don't hear anything in 24 hours. There might be someone that can't make it in right after you or they may not have the time to do all the interviews one right after another. I say this because I am doing the interview porcess myself, and some people think since they are the first person they get the job. I am actually taking apps for more than a month and then doing interviews. They could be like me and have a bit of time due to the person moving or retiring so they aren't in that big of a rush. I think it is good that you come across as eager to work, but to force them. They have their reasons to take their time. You have done right in writing thank you letters.

Just an example... In our case one of the persons making the decision just found out she had to go back for Chemo so we can't do any interviews. So, show interest, but be understanding also.

Do you think they care about what you want to hear?

They are letting you know there is competition for the job.

If specifically stated, it usually means they have a lot of people interviewing and that it will take a while before you hear from them. 24hrs is nothing, hearing in a week or two is standard.

It's not unusual for a potential employer to mention other candidates. After all, it's a job interview, not a date. Of course there are going to be other candidates. And of course you don't want to hear about them, but the employer would have no incentive to make you think you're the only one being considered. It's much better for everyone concerned if they're up front about the fact that they are interviewing multiple people. That way, anyone who's not hired will be less likely to take it as a personal rejection. How can be it be personal when you're one of 100 rejects? And the person who is hired will consider herself or himself pretty lucky. Plus, making it clear that you're one of many being considered is one way of discouraging anyone from making assumptions or bugging the interviewer for an answer. Don't worry about not being contacted within 24 hours. If they're interviewing several people, they're going to take their time in making a decision, even if they were really impressed by you. Not only do they have to decide who they want to hire, they have to figure out a salary offer and start date, get approval from their higher-ups, etc. Just send them a polite "Thank you for the interview" letter, and then try to relax. Good luck!

I think they mention this when they don't want to hire you....They do not want to give the impression that you are going to be offered the job on the spot...it's just a lame excuse in other words.