Do you think people should put a status on their facebook if they are in a relationship?
Dating / 11:15 AM - Monday September 13, 2010

- Asked by An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28

Absolutely and if they are married too, what's the secret?

- Response by brampton, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Administrative

Why? It's not a dating site.

It means the same as someone who prefers to display their birthday vs someone who doesn't.

But even if they did, it does not mean that it is the truth. Many on here say they are single when they are truly married or taken just because it makes them look more appealing to the opposite sex (and again, this isn't a dating site, but there are men who troll, as well as women)....and they think it will get them SOMETHING that they would not get otherwise if they left it blank or posted their true status.

It really has no meaning. If you are in a relationship, then THAT is what is important, not some label stating you are or not.

- Response by iowaczechartist, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

I guess if they want to broadcast it. It's really up to them. We know some people aren't real honest about that though or just want to keep it private.

But some people don't even know how to do that. I always linked my page to my husband and son's pages - but my friends never do that with their families.

It varies on the different people's point of view..other do put their status because they are so proud of it, others are in secrecy..others thought its just so personal...but in my opinion I dont care...IJS

- Response by asianlovely13, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, London, Managerial

I think anyone who has a facebook is to much of an idiot to be in a relationship.

- Response by A Life of the Party, Female, Who Cares?

I think it depends on the people and probably has a little to do with their age as well. I've been seeing a guy exclusively for about 4 months but our relationship status says single. We're in our 30's so the whole bf/gf title sounds somewhat stupid to us and we're very happy with the way our relationship is going so changing our status isn't something high up on our to do list you know? lol. If it bothers you though, talk about it with your guy. I guess the bottom line is if your both on the same page I don't think it matters.

- Response by goldiestar79, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

Should they? That's depends on the people in the relationship. No. Facebook is not necessarily a dating site but many people use it as such. I get the feeling your question has more to do with advertising the relationship. You see, prefer that my spouse indicate he is married on facebook for the same reasons I require that we wear wedding bands. I want an outward symbol for people to know that we are married. I'm pretty sure some couples (married or unmarried) would appreciate a symbol to say that they are spoken for in some way. For some, Facebook's relationship status is one of those symbols.
From personal experience, I'm skeptical of a situation where one person in the relationship doesn't want people to know s/he is actually in a relationship. Personally, I'd be suspicious if my man wanted to maintain a Facebook account but refused to acknowledge that he is in a relationship where the option exists.... but that's just me.

- Response by safekeeping, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Charlotte, Teaching

I don't think it matters if that specific detail is hidden through your privacy settings(you can hide your relationship status.) If it's not hidden though, I don't think your profile should say 'single' if you are indeed 'in a relationship'

- Response by melmac, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

I don't think it should have the wrong status, but having no status is understandable. Te only reason I have my status as non-blank is because a friend had changed it to "its complicated" with her, while we were both dating the same man. When they broke up, I changed it to "in a relationship".

The only reason I know of some other people using it, is in case they break up so that they don't need to tell everyone individually why they're in the state which they are.

- Response by A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25

Well, it is helpful, so that people know whether you are taken or not.

- Response by stiffkittenbabelfish, Female, 29-35, Teaching