Thank you for your many years of support. We want to share the news with you that after much consideration, will cease operations in its present format on October 15th. We appreciate your meaningful contributions over the years.
Back to Home

Active Questions

Does child support cover school supplies and clothes?
Family & Parenting / 1:45 PM - Thursday September 09, 2010

does child support cover school supplies and clothes?

my children take their clothes from my home to his home when he has them 20% of the time. he purchases nothing in terms of clothing for them. should he be buying his own clothes or paying me 50%?

Also, school supplies are costly with two children in older grades requiring more supplies. should he be expected to pay 50%?

- Asked by Female, 46-55

Read more about the Rating System

This is something that should have been detailed in your original custody papers. If not, you need to contact the attorney you used for this matter to see whether or not this is something you can expect him to pay for.

- Response by jess2481, A Life of the Party, Female, 36-45, Cincinnati, Other Profession

Rating Received:

Community Rating: Community Star

He pays you child support for you to use to for your children. Whether you choose to spend it on the children's clothing, or their school supplies or their summer camp is up to you.

- Response by justpassingthru, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Financial / Banking

Rating Received:

Child support is to be used for whatever a child needs. Your child's belongings belong are your child's and they would take them wherever they went. If they're left at your ex's, you could either ask for them back or just consider them items your child uses when they visit their Dad.

I realize that most times Child Support only scratches the surface of what it really costs to raise a child.

But, that's the figure that was decided at the divorce and that's all the non-custodial parent has to pay by law.

It would be nice if they would pay more when needed, but that's something that would have to be agreed upon by both parents.

- Response by mrscleaver16, A Married Girl, Female, 66 or older

Rating Received:

the parent who has them should be paying for those costs.
ask a lawyer what your support covers.

- Response by flwoodpecker, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Other Profession

Rating Received:

When you divorce or get a child support order the court usually requests a financial statement from both the mother and father. This statement lists all expenses which includes clothes, school supplies etc.
Support is supposed to cover his costs of helping with the children. If your costs have increased then you should file for an increase in support due to increase in expenses. He is not required to buy separate clothes to have at his house. You need to speak to a lawyer. rosey

- Response by roseytalks, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Tampa, Who Cares?

Rating Received:

If the children are spending 80% of their time with you, then you should be supporting them 80%. That includes a lot of stuff.

- Response by greenwind, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Construction

Rating Received:

Basically their child support includes whatever they need, school supplies included,and once the check is gone then it's up to you to cover the rest unless the father wants to volunteer it or there are provisions in the support agreement. In the support agreement I have,there is a special provision for shoes b/c my daughter has very wide feet so shoes are very expensive so me and her dad have to split the cost.

- Response by misskitty420, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Student

Rating Received:

You don't get separate child support for each thing. If he's paying you X amount of dollars for the kids, then it's up to you to manage that money as needed for the kids, plus your own money and get whatever they need.

If you have two kids and still need more money..for the KIDS STUFF, not because you have other bills and such or want to take a vacation, get a new pair of shoes or other crap reasons like that which are real reasons that women try and get more child support for.. then you can at least ask for an increase from the courts...though best to just ask HIM first and see if he'll throw you a few extra dollars..OR.. ask him to get what they need so that he KNOWS that his money is really going for the kids stuff and not bills or something else that you might want.

- Response by richsifu, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

Rating Received: