What job or profession do you respect/admire the most and why?
Career / 4:03 PM - Monday September 06, 2010

I respect any person who is dedicated to their job and the task of doing it well. People who work with children, the sick, the dying, and the indigent get extra points I suppose...

- Response by kaffroake, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

Nurses that work with children who suffer from cancer.

- Response by shanegalang, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, New Orleans, Transportation

Firefighters and paramedics. They're 100% selfless.

- Response by manfromsweden, A Guy Critical, Male, 26-28, San Jose, Who Cares?

Teaching and/or writing and research. ANYTHING involving literacy! A reading public cannot be fooled.

- Response by thundermist04167, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

Teachers

- Response by teresa1985, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Calgary, Who Cares?

Surgeons

Nurses & Health care professionals.

I deeply respect people who write well. While I write a lot, I don't do a professional job of it.. which irks me. I am enamored of the writer who can catch my attention so well that hours go by and I don't even notice the passage of time.

police men and fire fighters because they save lives!

- Response by jamiesangel777, A Cool Mom, Female, Who Cares?

I have a deep respect for anyone that goes into any profession with the goal to not only provide for their family but make a difference in same way..we need more of those kinds of people. Smile!

- Response by cjs1991, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Teaching

Nurses (they are beatiful) and farmers, (they are so handsome)

Among civilians, I really respect the people who take on non-glamorous and non-union jobs as careers that other people don't want to do. Waiters & Waitresses would be near the top of that list, and maybe Pool Men, Gardeners, or Auto Mechanics. None of these are glamorous, and few people say "I want to be one of those" but they are necessary, you're happy to get a good one, and most of them do their job so well you don't even notice them - but you should.

I don't respect firefighters, police, doctors, nurses, teachers more than others, somewhat because I rarely "need" them, but mostly because I come from a family full of them, and I know that almost NONE of them took those jobs because they had a passion to do that job, but because they wanted a "secure job" with fat overtime when they needed it, and a government retirement.

I'm an attorney, so maybe I'm jaded, but Waiters and Waitresses (for example) who do that job for more than a few years, and do it with pride and without complaint, deserve as much or more of my respect as any glamour "profession."

- Response by A Career Man, Male, 46-55

Nurses, Teachers, Paramedics etc.

Definitely those involved in the Health Care field. Specifically with Cancer patients. As, my family suffers from it and I have a lot of respect for what they have done with easing a bit of the pain in the past. I always wanted to be a doctor or even a nurse, or some sort of health care worker.. but I just cannot stomach the despair of the environment. It's something that would eat my very being away day after day.. and I couldn't live with myself if that happened. I have even more respect for people who do work in those conditions because I know how much they are giving up and how much they are giving to people who really need the help.

Healthcare should not be a business. It should not circulate around monetary gain in any form, whatsoever. It should be a service provided by the government via tax collection. Businesses should not look out to make money off of people's suffering. This is the one area I am anti-business. I just don't believe it is ethical to make money off of a person's need to be cared for. That just isn't the right thing to do.

- Response by desota18, A Creative, Male, 22-25, Self-Employed

Any job where you can truly help people is feel is the most rewarding, especially people in great need. Now that is not to say that a job like that would be easy, because it would not be easy. In fact, it would be very, very difficult. BUT it would be the most rewarding. :)

- Response by blossoming1, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Seattle, Civil Service

Whoever makes the world a better place, because---it is much needed.

- Response by dreammaster13, A Guy Critical, Male, Who Cares?

teachers and stay at home moms

- Response by curiousguy, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?