A man Invites me to dinner but then does not follow up
Dating / 1:40 PM - Sunday September 05, 2010

I've been "friendly" with this man the past couple years but we barely hang out. He invited me to dinner just out of the blue, I said yes but we did not set up wa day/time. So on my only day off during that week, I asked him if dinner was still on and he replied that he lost track and we would go the following week for sure.

The following week I did not hear from him. Why would he even bother asking me out to dinner if he didn't really want to go? I like him very much, He got my hopes up but now I'm just let down. He leaves his work at work come 5 pm so I know he's not busy working...

Is he leading me on? At first I thought maybe he meant to send that invite to someone else because it was through text message..

- Asked by shoegame, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Other Profession

He could be stringing you along and he could just be someone who doesn't know what he wants. Either way, you have no control over what he does or doesn't do, only over getting your hopes up to be let down later. A "date" means setting an intention, not just a time and place and is best done on the phone or face to face, not as a text.

- Response by wiserman, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

Initially, he was most likely interested. However, as time went on he lost interest and now is stringing you along until you give up contacting him.

- Response by mantis, A Creative, Male, 18-21

Scratch that one on the ice.. There are guys like that; then they "change their minds." I wouldn't want to hang waiting for him to call or text.

Sounds like he has another woman. otherwise he would have set an actual date.

Forget about him. Either way he's a flake and that's disrespectful.

lmao hope you werent holding out for the dinner date! go eat! quick! you could starve to death hanging round for that one!

- Response by mortishia99, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Medical / Dental

"I like him very much, He got my hopes up...."
This is the only problem I see. If it were this situation happening to your GF, you'd not have any question telling her the right decision to make. Let go.... Find someone that is a bit more forthright and honest.