My husband smokes medical marijuana --- a little too much!!!
Married Life / 10:02 AM - Saturday September 04, 2010

my husband smokes medical marijuana --- a little too much!!!

My husband has a terrible habit. He smokes pot like he would smoke cigarettes. He'll smoke a joint
then about 1/2 hour later he'll smoke another one. He claims it is for his back pain, which is real.

Our kids are grown and out of the house now so that
is not an issue. He sells it out of the house, so that's how he is able to afford it. Whenever I try to tell him the bad effects of marijuana, he tells me it's a natural plant and it helps his back pain.
I just don't know what to do anymore. I don't smoke it, btw.

Update: September 04, 2010.
Just to let everyone know right now, my husband claims to use marijuana for medicinal purposes, however, it is not backed up by a doctor. For this he wants to move to California (we're almost 3000 miles away from CA), so it's legal and easier to get a doctor to back up his claims, that pot really does help his back pain. But right now, he says it medicinal, but there's not a doctor involved, nor any kind of official prescription for medical marijuana.

DON'T MOVE TO CALIFORNIA JUST FOR POT!!!

(I haven't read the other responses, so forgive me if I repeat other answers)

I live in California; I also had a doctor's recommendation (from a "regular" doc, not a pot-doc) and purchased pot from a dispensary several times last year. Over the past several months, however, dispensaries have been getting raided and there have been more and more allegations of dispensary malfeasance, so I have switched to Marinol (basically, pot pills; synthetic, purchased from a pharmacy with a prescription). I know there are folks who say that I am missing out on all the benefits of "natural" pot; however, I am also missing out on the risks, like arrests, criminal record, and/or potential jail/prison time.

From what I can tell, I'm one of the few legitimate medical marijuana users: I have never enjoyed the high from pot (though I've enjoyed other illicit highs, to be sure!), and I only use it now because it's the most benign of my treatment options (I have anorexia [NOT "nervosa"--I just never, ever have an appetite, and my weight tends to the low side at best and skeletal at worst]). Pot is better--and safer--by far than using mood stabilizers (Depakote, Topamax, etc.) or atypical antipsychotics (Risperdal, etc.), or worse, the old-school neuroleptics, like Thorazine, to boost my appetite. But I digress...

I suspect you're right about your husband. It IS difficult to manage/treat chronic pain, but it doesn't help matters to have him hooked on something, be it pot or pain pills. Hooked is hooked. Plus, if he's selling pot out of the house, depending upon the state you're in, you run the risk of LOSING YOUR HOUSE if he gets busted...and that's a mighty high price to pay for pain relief.

Talk to your husband and see if he'd be open to finding a doctor who'd be willing to prescribe Marinol...that way, he wouldn't be breaking any laws (stupid though they may be), wouldn't put you or your property at risk, and his use would be monitored, if only a little.

Good luck to you both!

- Response by recynd, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Los Angeles, Administrative

Abuse of pain killers, prescription drugs, and weed used for medical purposes is very common.

If he is getting it on prescription, his repeat prescription will detail the correct daily dose. If he is taking too much, his doctor needs to keep him in check. If it was any other prescription drug the patient would be asked to see his doctor to see why he is taking too many.

...:)

You need to move to where you can get a prescription for medical marijuana. Otherwise, you are risking too, too much for pain relief.

There are other states in the union besides CA where mj is legal for medical purposes. I highly recommend you look up which states have legalized it for medical purposes and move to one of them.

Also, I can totally understand his using it for pain purposes, but selling it is stupid and dangerous for him and for you. I think the people who are accusing him of being an addict because he has pain issues are sick and buy into the cultural logic that people who don't just suffer when they can have livable lives are *drug addicts.* No one has to suffer because some idiots think that meaningless physical suffering is a good thing. So I think your husband SHOULD move to where he can get mj legally and I don't think he should feel guilty about smoking it.

Just so you know, from what I have heard (I don't smoke it myself because it's not legal for medical purposes in my state, but I know people who live where it's legal), it takes a different amount of mj to kill pain for different people. So, it may LOOK like your husband is smoking too much, but the poor thing may actually NEED to smoke that amount to make his back pain bearable. Don't throw stones unless you've lived in the house, you know?

Just really try to get him to stop selling it--that is just stupid and it can get you caught. I think it's insane that mj is illegal when alcohol is legal--it is so much less devastating a drug tham alcohol. But the laws, unjust though they are, are what they are. Try to stay safe and stay free.

Maybe if you try it..you may like it/lol...I'd rather have a pot smoker than a drunk...pot never makes people angry..it's vise versa

- Response by dolphace, A Hippie Chick, Female, 36-45

I would be more worried that he's selling it rather than smoking it!

If he gets in trouble for that ... so will you since you live there and condone it by allowing it to happen.

For my own sake, I would tell him he might not care how this affects him ... but I don't want to be a part of it.

- Response by mrscleaver16, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65

he is in denail

Cyanide is also a natural substance

- Response by undercoverguy, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Retired

as for natural substance, herion /the poppy, is also a flower.
if busted for selling/growing etc, you can lose the house, be arrested as accomplice etc. there are thousands of ways to battle back pain without smoking and joking and thats a shit excuse. people with terminal untreatable pain, yes but controlled by prescription, not home grown and illigally selling it. he is just a user/drug pusher excusing his weakness under guise of "back pain". if he hurts, tell him to exercise, works wonders signed 2 back surgeries who runs 3 miles day, benchs 275.

- Response by mtusa007, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, Self-Employed

I may be wrong, but if he is receiving medical marijuana legally, it shouldn't be costing him anything. Does he have a legit medical card for receiving it? There is a process you need to go through to get a card for it. I know this because one of my friends has one. Selling it is a big NO NO, and if he gets caught he's screwed!!

- Response by aquamarine, A Creative, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

Whoever said that "marijuana isn't addictive" is a liar.

Furthermore, just because a plant is "natural" doesn't mean it is good! EVERYTHING is "natural"! Try smoking POISON IVY!

- Response by thundermist04167, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

Sooo He is illegally smoking weed. (its actually very hard to get a legal card for medicinal marijuanna) And he is dealing. Its a crock. He is an addict and a drug dealer. Get out now before you get arrested too and loose everything.

No marijuana card, if you even live in a state that its legal for medical uses, dealing it. He isn't using it medicinally he is a drug addict and a dealer. He could face charges for possesion and distributing an illegal substance. Get it out of your house or you could be in as much trouble as he will eventually find himself. Because one day someone will roll on him and then your guys will be screwed.

- Response by bellabyrdie, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

The chances of getting a med marijuana script for back pain is one in a million....it has very little effect on inflamed discs, the sciatic nerve, pinched nerves, muscle spasms, or anything else that is usually the cause of back pain.
This is like the W.C Fields movies.....where he says it's
"for his rhumitiz"
I think you might consider buying a small farm, as his bullshit would save you the cost of fertilizer.
BTW....NJ has med M now...and in Nov. supposedly, De and MD are going to as well....Wa does.....which is infinitly lower in cost to live.......Ca is a place where you need to make over $150k to live at all like say....De, Va or N/S Carolina on $60k. Pot smoker's favorite word? "ear"

- Response by epiphanomaly, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Philadelphia, Self-Employed

If a person close to me smoke pot for pain I could accept that. I have worked with Cancer patients that were dispensed this through the pharmacy at UCLA actually.

What I could not and would not accept would be them being involved in the sales of it. That could be a felony and it is cause for imprisonment. And, as long as it is cause for imprisonment, it is good enough reason to not do it.

With or without a doctor involved, if he is in pain and pot helps me, great. But, not great if he is abusing it and selling it. Sounds like maybe the negatives are beginning to outweigh the positives on this one.

California is the best state in the union. Its probably a safe bet you're not gonna regret the move. I say go for it.

- Response by mrsavage, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

i would give him a choice have stop selling and smoking marijuana so he can ask his doctor for actual medicene for his back pain or he can leave

- Response by An Intellectual Guy, Male, 26-28, Cincinnati

What is your quarrel with this? If you don't like it, leave.

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25

The natural argument doesn't cut it. All kinds of natural substances are poisonous and even some that are used as medicines (e.g., Foxglove, from which comes digitalis) are lethal in high doses.

Having said that, marijuana is not 'dangerous'...it won't kill anyone, but it can be pernicious in its own way. Mind you, I see nothing wrong with occasional use to enhance a concert, or sex, or even just to relax, but as a one-time 'wake-and-bake' smoker, I can attest to the fact that too much of a good thing can be deleterious. Constantly smoking pot and being high makes it impossible to do certain things. Different people are affected differently, but for me, serious intellectual work was out of the question. Some people seem inspired to write poetry, but I can recall trying to write college papers while stoned and actually giving up after a very short while, because felt that the pot was fighting my mind's attempts to concentrate and make the effort to compose coherent thoughts.

I managed to finish a doctorate in 2003, but today, I am pot-free for over 16 years. I cannot even begin to fathom writing a dissertation if had been stoned.

- Response by tomtomcat, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, New York, Teaching