Why are Americans so obsessed with age?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 2:41 PM - Monday August 30, 2010

Why are Americans so obsessed with age?

You have to be married by a certain age, have kids by a certain age. If you talk to a doctor, your ailment could be worse considering your "age" (although people die at all ages so being young is no guarantee you'll survive). There are creams to look 'younger', makeover to take 'years off your appearance', ane people always talk about how someone "doesn't look their age". What is so wrong with AGE??? Why do we gauge our whole lives by how old we are? Are we the only country so youth obsessed? It's ridiculous.

- Asked by ebm3, A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45, Self-Employed

I love you!!!! My heart is like a ten year old..i play with the water hose..I dance when i walk...wish people understood...life is NOT a rehersal.

- Response by hwyrider, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Retired

Since I was called Elderly at my last job, I would like to know the answer to this too! I just can't wait for all the young people to get OLD like they tell me I am....

Ehhhh I don't think that's quite the case. I mean yes, they have all sorts of age-defying nonsense on the path to eternal youth, but desire to stay youthful forever isn't a new concept by any means. And the whole "married by a certain age" typically is associated with "having a kids by a certain age" which is designated by scientific fact of when is the best age to reproduce. That age is also a lot later than it used to be. So I don't think it's quite the plight you think. :)

- Response by lizarella, An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28

Our society has it's values all messed up. Unfortunately the people I speak with in other Democratic nations appear to be the same.

- Response by philosopher1, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55