Would you let your 15 year old daughter get a nose piercing?
Family & Parenting / 7:13 PM - Wednesday August 25, 2010

Ok,so my daughter asked me if she can have one (only a little stud) and I dont know what to tell her.She is a good kid,has straight A`s,she doesnt drink or smoke so Im sure she isnt doing it to fit in some group.She says she really likes it so she asked if she can have one.What should I tell her?

& Would you let your kid do that?

Thanks!

- Asked by A Trendsetter, Female, 56-65, Miami, Student

I would let her have it. Sounds like a well rounded kid. Let her get it. :) oh, yes I would let my daughter.

- Response by shanegalang, A Rebel, Male, 66 or older, Consulting

I asked my dad to let me pierce my nose (in 1972) I wanted a little diamond stud... His response was "You can do it. You will need to change your name, your place of residence and a few other things, but you can do it."

Thanks for the memory.

And no, as a hiring manager, I would not let her. Too many connections with individuals that are not hire-able for other reasons. She can get those cute little stick-ons and no one will know the difference. Same thing with tattoos. Mehndi is a non-permanent solution to this request. Sorry.

- Response by siouxzen, A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Guadalajara, Self-Employed

Yes. If she's a good kid who doesn't give you grief, then sure, I'd let her have it done.

Nope. She can wait until she moves out to make stupid choices.

- Response by istillhatescrennames, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 66 or older

I love how confidently you say she "doesnt drink or smoke" and "[you're] sure she isnt doing it to fit in".

First of all, you need to reconnect with reality and accept the fact that you very little idea about that which you speak.

Second, why does it matter if she gets straight A's? Or if she's ever been to a keg party or if she's a virgin or she's hit some weed before in her life?

- Response by mrsavage, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

Absolutely NO FREAKIN WAY!! My 14 year old is asking to have her ears gaged....NO WAY to that either!
I told her when she is 18 and not living under my roof and supporting herself she can do whatever she wants...but at this time, no way!

- Response by lam0366, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55, Administrative

I doubt it .. only because at 15, she's not old enough to know if that's something she really wants long term.

I would have her wait until she was 18 to make sure it's really what she wants.

Sometimes parents have to make unpopular choices for their kids ..

No...it is not main stream ...if however she chooses to go against the grain later in life..it is her own doing... if gives a certain air that is not necessary or becoming a 15 yr old in my opinion.

- Response by lady4u, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65, Cincinnati, Who Cares?

1. count your blessings.

2. pick your fights carefully, doing thoughtful "damage assessment" to your relationshp with your daughter.

3. see #'s 1. & 2., above.

Nope! If my daughter ever wants anything other than her ears pierced, she can wait until she's 18 and pay for it herself.

- Response by lizarella, An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28

Hard question. My 15yr old asked the same thing. It wouldn't really bother me but my husband is totally against it.

- Response by usnamom13, Female, 36-45

I would. I encourage individuality.

I've had so many piercings myself and I still say no. My daughter can't get anything pierced except her ears before 16 and even then the only one before 18 is the navel. No facial piercings until she is 18. Same for tattoos,not til 18.

Tough Question. I have a son who is 16 and I let him get his ear pierced. I am a liberal mom, but I told my teen no more piercings or any tatoos until he is 18. A nose piercing is just not exceptible in the professional workplace. Your daughter may want one now, but she may regret it later.

We want our children to look good and feel good about themselves, but they just don't look at the long term.

You can tell your daughter to wait 6 months and then she may see that its not such a good idea. Chances are that she might not want it in 6 months.

- Response by beezercase, A Hippie Chick, Female, 36-45

yea,if she's a good kid then why not.

- Response by le_gem735713, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Miami, Who Cares?

As long as its a small one, I don't see why not. I would let my child if I had one.

- Response by bts4life20, A Trendsetter, Female, 26-28, Self-Employed

Probably as she could be doing a lot worse things

Of course.

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25

I asked a very similar question on A/O a few weeks back. The resounding response: "Not until she turns 18. After that, she can pierce anything she wants."

Sure, and go out and pick it with her. She'll do it anyway so you may as well enjoy the time with her. It is not like it is permanent. Be the cool mom.

- Response by A Creative, Male, 29-35

Let her get it at 16 and make it part of her 'right of passage' into being more mature and adult, since a nose piercing will require some minimal care. Also:

- Your daughter won't grow up to be some delinquent simply because she has her nose pierced. If there hasn't been any drastic changes in how she dresses or acts, it's doubtful she's doing it to fit in.

- A lot of people are saying it's not professional. I've had a nose stud in each nostril since I was 18 and for my grad school and job interviews I took them out, then asked if there was any problem with me wearing them once I got the job ( There wasn't).

- People seem to assume all teenagers are getting into trouble. I have always had a love for piercings, body jewelry, and tattoos and my grades in high school were mediocre. I also never (and still don't) Drink, smoke, do drugs, go to clubs, have random sex, and so on. It's just not in my personality/interests.

- Response by archaeologysweetheart, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Science / Engineering

I'm not sure if this issue is still on the table but I'll throw my opinion out there anyway! :)

At 15 the friends you have can influence your decisions a lot, I remember what that was like. In most piercing studios (good ones anyway) you must be at least 16 to get a piercing without a Guardian present. I think you should wait till she is at least 16, if not a little older and see if she's still keen on the idea - if she is, why not!

As you said, she's a good kid. The amount of teens that are out there doing drugs, getting into fights etc - whats a tiny stud in the nose really? ...........now if only it was that simple to explain it like that to my father, hmmm.

- Response by remoraid, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25, Sydney, Body Work