I got fired 4 stealing can they hold my check
Career / 5:50 PM - Tuesday August 24, 2010

i got fired 4 stealing can they hold my check

my manager said she got me on cam stealing i ask her 2 show me so when she went 2 view the tape she act like she couldnt find it on tape so when i came back the next day she later said the boss said dont show me the tape she fired me because she said i sold a fake weed plant 2 a customer and pocket the money and now she is asking me 2 pay $100 for the tree and i cant get my check until then can they do that?

You know whether you stole or not. If you did, yes, I think they can. If you didn't, it's time to see a lawyer because withholding your check for something you didn't do is not legal.

- Response by pookiedoo, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Only you know if you really did it or not so seeing the video is inconsequential. If you want to fight it, you can get a lawyer and they can say "either put up or shut up" about the video.

Yeah, they can hold your check unless you fight it. If you did steal, you're screwed. If you didn't and the lawyer proves it, they're screwed.

Too bad you didn't steal beer and curse out people on the P.A. People who do that get their own reality shows.

Go figure.

- Response by alecsmart1, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Celebrity

If there is no proof at all that you stole anything, no they can't. You might have to seek an attorney though in order to plead your case. Now, only you know if you stole by pocketing money from a fake plant. If you did. It might be better and less embarrassing if you simply pay the money out of your last paycheck.

So u sold a item to a customer and u pocketed the money that was not yours . Yes they every right to deduct it from your pay .. Not your money is it for the stolen item . Not a good look on your resume either for other jobs.
If u have NOT stolen/pocketed the money demand to see the tape.

Go to a lawyer!!! Manager couldn't find you on the tape and NEITHER COULD THE BOSS. They made a big boo-boo so they want you gone. Get a lawyer, get your paycheck, and get what ever they pay for besmirching your reputation. If you did steal....yeh, they can do that and should!

- Response by seajaih, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

they can hold the check for a maximum of 60 days, depending upon your state. and if you owe them for any legal fees or for damaging the item you stole, they can deduct that from your final check, up to, and including, every cent of it.

Sweetpea, any advice depends on one thing.. If you are guilty of what you are being accused of or not.

Yes they can hold your chaeck to cover theft and damages. Be gratefull they aren't throwing you in jail too.

If they have proof that you stole something, yes they can hold your check and take whatever you stole out of it in repayment.

They could also have you prosecuted.

I would get a lawyer ASAP.

- Response by mrscleaver16, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65

If they have proof of you stealing they really can do just about anything they want to. If I were YOU, I would hope that is all they wanted to do, i.e., just collect the value of the theft.

Because they can press charges against you and take you to court. That would cause you to be arrested, booked, perhaps spend some time in jail AND the judge will designate a fine, which could be far above the amount they are talking about right now.

So, I would not fight this if I were you. Find out how much your pay check is and if it is more than $100 ask when you can collect THAT amount.

That is what I would advise if you were a close friend.

I thin it depends on where you live...we fired a girl at my job..she was fired for stealing, but not directly from the company...she was to be issued her final check within 48 hours...I would check your state laws on this...if they wanna prosecute they may do so at a later date.

- Response by lk2mvit, A Life of the Party, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

It definitely depends on what state you live in. Check in with your state department of labor. Most companies would have you sign a waiver, then they would take the $100 out of your last check.

- Response by michellejam48, Female, 36-45

If u really did it they should be having u arrested