How long does it take an electronic check to clear?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 7:53 PM - Thursday August 19, 2010

I paid my college tuition with an electronic check, how long before that money will be taken out of my checking account? I can't find anything about this on my school's website..

- Asked by bliss0392, A Thinker, Female, 22-25

If an electronic check is paid online, like using B of A billpay for instance... it would depend on how long the bank says it will take for the check to be received by the school.

The creditors that I provided an address for, are deducted from my account and paid to the creditor within 3 business days of me executing the check. This is all straight electronic with no paper involved; bank to bank.

If I had to provide an address to the bank to pay a particular person or company, it can take ten days. That is because a paper check is actually mailed through U.S. Mail to the creditor. And, making a check, mailing it and receiving it can take up to ten days, especially if you include no mail days or weekends.

- Response by randyl, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Technical

Not long .. maybe a couple of days max. That really goes fast now.

Can't you monitor your checking account online through your bank?? I can see exactly when checks clear and even see a copy of the endorsed check.

Most banks have that now.

How fast an electronic check clears is up to the bank, not the school. Check your balance online, or at an ATM.

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession