How long does it take an electronic check to clear?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 7:53 PM - Thursday August 19, 2010

I paid my college tuition with an electronic check, how long before that money will be taken out of my checking account? I can't find anything about this on my school's website..

- Asked by bliss0392, A Thinker, Female, 22-25

It can be anywhere from immediate to however long it takes the recipient (your school) to send it for processing/transfer. If it takes more than 3 days, you should check on it to make sure they (school) got it and don't ding you with late fees or a non-payment notice.

If an electronic check is paid online, like using B of A billpay for instance... it would depend on how long the bank says it will take for the check to be received by the school.

The creditors that I provided an address for, are deducted from my account and paid to the creditor within 3 business days of me executing the check. This is all straight electronic with no paper involved; bank to bank.

If I had to provide an address to the bank to pay a particular person or company, it can take ten days. That is because a paper check is actually mailed through U.S. Mail to the creditor. And, making a check, mailing it and receiving it can take up to ten days, especially if you include no mail days or weekends.

Not long .. maybe a couple of days max. That really goes fast now.

Can't you monitor your checking account online through your bank?? I can see exactly when checks clear and even see a copy of the endorsed check.

Most banks have that now.

- Response by mrscleaver16, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65

How fast an electronic check clears is up to the bank, not the school. Check your balance online, or at an ATM.

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession