How to get over bored housewife syndrome?
Diet & Health / 11:08 AM - Tuesday August 17, 2010

how to get over bored housewife syndrome?

I am a stay at home wife and lately have lost my will to even get out of bed I do the same routine day in and day out and i'm just blah i mean i'm still going through the motions of my everyday schedule but finding myself getting angry and well just plain tired all the time any suggestions??

- Asked by amberslogic, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

You could take-up drinking...
it's said:

"you can't drink all day unless
you get started in the morning"

Find a lover.

- Response by ethelb50, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65

Boredom contrary to what they believe is hard to cure...the willingness of the person is what matters most here. Make a checklist of things that you are good at (ie pottery, painting, home decoration, etc) see for yourself which will crave your mind and liking :) Join any social club nearby...do some volunteer work if you want :)

- Response by asianlovely13, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, London, Managerial

Yes, yolu can get a job so that your mind and body will be occupied. Everyone should work. It's good for you.

If I had to guess, I'd say it couldn't hurt to clean the windows.

- Response by buffer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Los Angeles, Retired

So... you're either bored or depressed, or both.

Try reading, walking, volunteering, gardening, therapy, part-time job, visiting friends and family, ETC.

Change your routine. Get a hobby. Do volunteer work. Take a class at the local community college, either serious (like business) or fun (painting or pottery or something you always wanted to learn).
Nothing will change unless you change something.

- Response by falsehammer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Kansas City, Consulting

What interests did you have before you got married? Volunteer, go to the gym to workout, take a part time job.

- Response by birdland, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

Try going to the gym and getting in shape. Then when you are looking your best find a boyfriend.

- Response by perkyjen1, A Life of the Party, Female, 29-35, Boston

This is the foolishness of every man seeking a trophy wife and woman seeking a trophy husband who thinks he can marry her, put her on the shelf and then leave her to be perfectly at home immobilized with nothing to do all day every day but stare at her surroundings while he's living it up out breathing in the fresh air, surrounding himself with uplifting coworkers and enjoying the physical activity of working to earn his own keep and feed his own mouth! In this, husband has not married his complement or helper, he has not married his equal; he has married a housekeeper, who at the end of her day gets to leave him and return to life in HER house!

So, in order for you to become your husband's complement, helper and social equal, you are going to have to get a job doing the same or similar work as him; and then the two of you daily will have plenty of anecdotes to share over dinner that will keep your sex life hot!

- Response by thedaimler2006, An Alternative Girl, Female, 56-65, Atlanta, Self-Employed

Why don't you find a part time job? It'll get you out of the house for a few hours a week, but won't disrupt the chores (etc) that you have to do at home - I assume that's why you are at home?

If you are angry and feeling this down about your routine, you need to discuss it with your partner. Why isn't he doing his share around the place?

Do you have many friends? I guess most people are working during the day, but by getting a job, or just joining some kinda social club, you'll meet some new people and break from the routine.

And also, if this applies, dont spent too much time online or watching tv... this can be so depressing, especially when you're bored!

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Student

A glass of wine and extreme home makeover does the trick for me

- Response by imunique1, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

here's an idea, get a job!

You didn't mention if you have any children and if not then unless you're disabled why are you staying home? Even if you have tons of money and don't "need" a job, it would do your body good to get out and get a job or go back to school. You're too young to be bored sitting home. Do something about it.

- Response by midwifecrisis, Female, 46-55

See your doctor. It could be anemia. I've had to fight anemis for years. I had some of the same symptoms. Good luck.

- Response by mrsjack, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older

Travel also helps. New places and different air is always invigorating

- Response by tuala, A Creative, Female, 22-25, Student

And people think being a housewife is easy! I was a stay at home mom for a year and it drove me absolutely crazy. Sure I love my son and there was alot to do but I think the lack of adult interaction is what really pushed me over the edge. Being in a house all day and only interacting with a child, then your husband gets home and he's tired from working all day and doesn't want to go anywhere you almost feel like your in prison. I had to finally put my foot down and tell him I was going back to work!

Maybe you can find something part-time just to get out of the house and feel like your a productive member of society. Pick up a hobby that is just for you, again one that will get your out of the house and if you don't want to work then volunteer somewhere a couple days a week.

My wife got over it by having a daytime affair.

Which wasn't the best answer, but eventually I found out about it, I blew up, I calmed down, we talked, we cried, we argued, we talked some more.

Now a few times a week she comes into my office, or meets me for lunch, and I'm her daytime affair.

- Response by A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Self-Employed

YOu just answered your own question , its that horrible word.. "routine"
Get out of it.. change it up a bit. Dont go through the motions.

Make every day a new one, a differnet one and do things much different every day.
Being a stay at home mom/wife can be rewarding. Do something special that you wouldnt of normally thought up on your own for your husband..
Let the major house work go one day and bring him a surprise to work....
Meet up with friends during the morning and then bust your a*s in the afternoon to get things done.

Go to a yoga class before you start your day.. A run, a walk, a swim, and make house work fun. Add music..

One Time i was so bored at home that my friend from three doors down came over and her and I re organized all my cubbords and then did the same at her place the next day.

- Response by lovesgoldens, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Dear Amberslogic: If you're a thinker, then start thinking - of others, not yourself. Geez, you sound like a selfish, whiney woman whose husband probably doesn't race home to be with you. You are creating a rift between you and your husband with that attitude, I promise you! GET A VOLUNTEER JOB AND DO SOMETHING FOR OTHERS NOT AS LUCKY AS YOU. Get off your whiney butt and cultivate an attitude of gratitude. Get to a doctor to find out if you are clinically depressed, yes, but self esteem comes from the doing. Nobody gives you self esteem. It's something you earn for yourself. Go earn your place in the world by making something positive happen for someone else, and stop being so self centered. Make something interesting happen in every day. Make it a great day...only YOU can choose your attitude. Get going, darlin'. Please. gh

- Response by plantpal, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Vancouver, Self-Employed

Get a DAMN JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Housewife = Lazy and Full of Shit. You arent that Damn busy, get a job like the rest of us and become a useful part of society.

BTW, if you are using your kids as the EXCUSE for being home......PLEASEEEEEEEE EEEEEEE!!! They will live like most of us if they have to go to daycare.

- Response by handsomedetroitguy, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Detroit, Political / Government

Hmmmm....try being grateful you don't have to punch a clock. Oh and ps...to everyone on AO...YOU SUCK.

- Response by whatdat, A Life of the Party, Male, 26-28, Denver

Find a community college and spend the next two years getting an associates degree in a field that hires people. It both gives you something to do and gives you a way to support yourself when your marriage ends.

Can you get a parttime job, or start a hobby...something you have always wanted to do and never had the time? Read a book, or better yet...write one!! ;o)

- Response by seajaih, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

Get off your dead ass and do something you pampered brat.

- Response by An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Teaching

Wow! Do you know how many women wish they could be housewives? Maybe, you're depressed and need medication. Seriously, YOU are the only one responsible for being bored. Stop doing the same old routine. Didn't you have any hobbies? Goals you always wanted to achieve? What about volunteering? Taking sexy Latin dance lessons to surprise your husband with? What about starting your own social network of housewives? I'm assuming since you're being so bored everything else in the household is in order when your husband arrives from work? Only you know what it is in your heart that you truly want. Do you have a gym membership where you can focus on keeping yourself healthy and in shape?

Take a walk around the neighborhood. Get started reading an interesting novel. Do anything but sit around being bored, angry, and plain tired. You have a husband that is going out working everyday. You're not and you're feeling like you've lost your will to get out of bed? Wow, is all I can say! There are too many things throughout the course of a day that you can do. But, it sounds like you're depressed. I'd say, maybe you need to think about working or going back to school for something you'd really love doing. You're obviously not satisfied with being a housewife. I don't know if you have children or not. But, if you don't, when those children arrive, you will not have time to be bored. Good luck.

Find a secret lover.

Find a dog at a shelter! dogs can be great companions. I've had my dog for about a month now, and i love going on walks with her! It gives me motivation to get outside more, which will make anyone happier. Plus i don't feel so alone during the day, and i have a reason to go to the park and meet new people. (but not a lover, that's just not a good idea)

- Response by emilykrodgers, A Creative, Female, 22-25, Artist / Musician / Writer

It looks like there are many people with the answer, "get a job". If that would help you, go for it! I am a stay at home Mom and I have also been a full-time working Mother in the past. We are not lazy because we stay home. I work harder now than I ever did and I have never been so proud of what I do. I do feel blessed that my family can afford for me to stay home, that does not mean that I am not allowed to have a bad day at "work". Everyone has good days and bad sweetie. If you get bored, I have found something that picks me up right away, so simple - dress up. Even though know one will see you, you see yourself! I know it sounds silly and NO, YOU WOULD NOT BE DOING IT FOR YOUR HUBBY, YOU DO IT FOR YOU!! I also like to make gifts for Christmas, Birthdays, whatever. Doing that saves a TON OF MONEY and has taught me some really fun crafts! Doing those things keeps you out of the daily rut. Being a homemaker is hardwork and a blessing. Anyone who thinks we are lazy, they should video tape me for a day! Also, my hubby treats me amazing, I am his equal. If I was treated any less, I would not stay. We have been together for 15 years, thick and thin.

- Response by wifewithkids, A Hippie Chick, Female, 36-45

I can completely relate. I also stay home, with 3 kids. Somehow you get lost . You are a wife and a Mom, but --what else? I have a college degree, but we decided it would be better for the kids to have a full-time parent at home. Also, with the cost of daycare---I'd be working to pay someone else to raise my children. The kids are a bit older now and in school part of the day. I do go to the gym, and bike---on nice days. We also have several adopted animals. Find something to get you out of the house, something to look forward to!! ;)

- Response by bobbysg1rl, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45

Dear Amberslogic,

The people who told you to get a job are idiots. I understand what you are doing. You are trying to do what your soul thinks is best. You want to be home for your children and give them the best possible start in life. I am doing the same thing, and somehow along the way... We lost ourselves. Don't have an affair or anything drastic. Start making a list of all of the things for which you are thankful. Carry it with you. Remind yourself in each stressful moment that you chose this and your kids mean the world to you. Be thankful for bubbles, finger paintings, baby giggles, etc. I speak these things to you as I repeat them to myself. You can do it!! You are doing a great job! Your kids may never thank you, but I thank you for them. Thank you for loving them enough to do the hard thing!

- Response by A Creative, Female, 29-35, Pittsburgh

You should try to enjoy what you have to do remembering why you are doing it and for who. Then when it's done think about yourself and what you want out of your life. And don't forget there is always someone who would willing swap their life for yours.

- Response by philipfeast33, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45

Wow. Almost all of you who have advice have no experience in the area, so please go away. Its a little hard to justify getting a "job" when every last dime of it would go to daycare. I work in electronics, spent 6 years in the military, been a housewife for 6 months, and seriously, I think I'd prefer changing the oil on my ship-board antenna than housewife some days. I can't justify going to work (it would be min. wage, due to no jobs in my field in the area)AND sacrificing my families' quality of life.
I've been the go-to tech in my field, respected among coworkers, and now, in conversations with my husband and others he works with (in my field) I am dismissed as the 'spoiled, uneducated sock-launderer.' I've been on two deployments, and this is the hardest work I've ever done. Women are supposed to be everything to everyone. I pulled my weight like a man would and I keep this place as shiny and cared for as the most dedicated housewife would. When I tell my husband I want to go to work, he says, 'You can go work when my contract here is up, and we'll trade places.' Damned Skippy.
That is love, in its truest form.
If you have no experience in a matter, shut up.
If you can empathize, it is healthy.
Sympathy is ok. For a second.
Some ideas, though, I think I'm going to start a potted herb garden, and go from there.

- Response by A Creative, Female, 26-28

I really understand where your going with this staying at home thing, i just lost my job. The good thing is I can start a new diet, read books to my 2 year ride bikes, go swimming, or just have fun, and before your family comes home act like you really had a hard day cleaning . But if your not married, enjoy life cause its very short now in day!!!

- Response by prosperapple03, A Married Girl, Female, 22-25, Kansas City, Administrative

I would be willing to spice up ur life ;)

- Response by A Life of the Party, Male, 22-25, London, Internet / New Media