Going to a party where I don't know anyone..
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 3:24 PM - Saturday August 14, 2010

My friend invited me to go a party- the only problem is I won't know anyone there except for him! We live in different towns and hang out with different people. I'm very outgoing with friends but I'm shy around new people. Also, if he goes off to talk to one of his friends for a minute and I'm left standing alone I'd feel really awkward..
I really want to go and have a good time but I'm starting to get anxiety about it because I don't know anyone!

Thats the thing about a party. You meet new people... Yes it can be scary when you only know the people you went with. But you'll find when their is alcohol involved everyone is more inviting. I know alcohol is not suppose to be an answer but it is an aid. Drink a glass of wine when your getting ready to calm your nerves, then drink when you get to the party. If the guy your with leaves you behind for a moment find a girl, with a drink in her hand too that is just sort of standing around. Their is always at least one who is just standing around. Or if your an outgoing person go over to a group of girls that are talking and introduce yourself. I say girls, because your going with a guy and you dont want him to get eggy. Plus girls are normally pretty outgoing and when their drinking, they tend to give you huge hugs and call you their best friend ahahaha... your going to be fine!!!

- Response by kauaigirl808, A Player, Female, 22-25

Work the room...move in a clockwise fashion from where the food and drinks are and introduce yourself...hi I am so and so...how do you know so and so...i work at blahblah or we did this last week...or whatever...and then excuse yourself and move on....repeat....move all the way round the room and then go back for my chips and dip. LOL...sometimes you get included in an interesting conversation along the way and then suddenly you have a new insta friend.

- Response by joybird, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

The answer is to bluff your nervousness and act confident, chat to people, they may feel the same as you. Once you start a conversation, you will forget all about it and enjoy yourself, get excited about it instead! You'll be fine ;)

A good one is to ask people about themselves, everyone likes to talk about themselves and its a good conversation starter!

Have fun, have a few drinks and my guess is you'll have wondered why you worried :)

- Response by heatherjune123, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, London, Who Cares?

Ask if you can bring a friend. If he is hosting the party he will be busy. Bringing a friend might help ease some of the awkwardness.

- Response by melmac, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

Some of the greatest people I've ever met and talked to were ones I met at parties where I didn't know anyone. When you know someone there, you only talk to that person, right? I suggest you wander around, listen to various conversations, and then jump in. Ask questions: "Have you always lived here in Boston?" "What do you think of the fact that they're ending America's space exploration program?" Pithy questions that let you see how the others think, what their priorities are. Trust me, you'll have a great time!

Even your friend was a stranger at one time. Smile a lot, laugh at others' jokes, make a comment about a conversation near you.

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

Have a glass of wine or whatever you like and walk around the room and SMILE, SMILE, SMILE. Someone will pick up on your smile and start a conversation. If you sit in one place, no one will notice you.

If I were you I would still go. Yeah you may only know him, but yet you will have a chance to make new friends. i believe that you will do fine and leave with some new friends. I always go by if you try to get a new friend and you don't at least you tried and gave it your best shot. Just be yourself and if no one can except that then they are not worth it. Go and hangout with your friend!

- Response by chris6709, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 22-25, Student

great way to find out who his friends are.
good luck
look you had no friends before you got into school.
just pretend these are those type of ppl