Do you believe you should love & respect your parents regardless of what they do?
Family & Parenting / 6:07 AM - Friday August 13, 2010

Because after all they are still your parents?

Some of the answers to this post got me thinking and ok so your mother is your mother but when do you draw the line as to unforgivable behaviour? I hear it all the time, "oh my mother was an alcoholic and beat me but I still love her cos she's my mom?"

I just think why? To me things like that are unacceptable and I couldn't love or respect anyone who does that to me, including my mother, which is why we haven't spoke for nearly 10 years.

- Asked by psychoticbabe1, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

When one carries a grudge against someone, the only one that gets hurt is the one carrying it. The one who did the wrong is rarely aware of their wrong doing, and just goes on without any grief. It is unhealthy to carry that pain, so one has to learn to forgive for their own sanity, and for the benefit of the people in their current life. It does not mean that we have to condone the wrong doing, it means that we have to release ourselves from the burden of it. Parents are people, and people will hurt you sometimes. That is life 101. Sometimes it is not easy, but it is necessary. Taking offense is a choice. I choose to not let that person have the power over me that causes me harm, be it physical, mental, or however. That makes me a better person all the way around, I believe. I don't lose sleep over whatever bad action or choice that someone else made. I am a calmer, more caring individual because of this outlook. The ones in my life love me for who I am, not for what someone else had done to me. Letting go is good. You can eventually learn to give a certain amount of respect to a parent that has done wrong, and quite often they will see the error of their ways and make a concerted effort to make up for their "sins".
Been there, done that, got that Tee shirt. I like how it has turned out now that so many years have passed since the original transgression.

........:B)

- Response by beemerdoc, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Celebrity

I think that there is a line.

Some things are unforgiveable.Especialy if it continues.

There are some things parents have done to children that are unforgivable. If a parent has abused a child then the child who becomes an adult has the right not to bother with the parent. The poster said the boyfriend grew up resenting his mother and he resents everybody's mother. He needs professional help to deal with his resentment and he would not be a healthy match for her. Rosey

Disrespect is Disrespect no matter who it comes from and it should not be tolerated even if it is your parent. I have not had a relationship with my mom in about 5 yrs.Sure it was hard at first cuz in a way its like losing a parent when one becomes dead to you. Since then i feel like such a better person,im in a better place then i would be if i had kept a relationship with her. My life goals now are to live my life how my mom wouldnt and to be a better person than her.Also to be the mom to my son that she NEVER was to me. She is a horrible person, a POS, I hate her and she is dead to me!! Oh and btw my bf respects my decision and doesnt judge me for being a mom hater.

- Response by jaclyn_gildner, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?