How old a child has to be to fly by plane alone?
Family & Parenting / 2:01 AM - Sunday August 08, 2010

We are having my husbands son with us for summer time. He needs to be back to his mom's before school starts. My husband was planning to drive him. But he just got to know that it would be problematic to take several days off. It takes 2o hours to drive not counting stops for sleep. So we decided to fly him back( non stop flight). He is 9 years old, 10 in a month. Does anybody know what age of a kid has to be to travel alone? Thank you very much

When I worked for NWA you could fly at age 6 BUT you had to pay the $45 FEE to have a Flight Attendent watch you....sure. At age 12 you can fly alone but can REQUEST the service of being escorted/watched/get to the plane seat for a price which I don't know since Delta bought NWA. You can do this to age 17 actually.

RING THE AIRlINE D

If he has never flown before it is a bad idea.If he is at ease with it they have escorts which costs extra.

I think nine is old enough. But your airline may have a procedure to arrange his passage. Check with them.

- Response by thundermist04167, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

i've seen kids as young as 3 fly alone. however, the parent MUST drop them off at the terminal, sign the paperwork for the airline, it can ONLY be a direct flight, and the other parent (guardian) must pick them up at the other terminal.

I don't know from a legal stand point but for me it would have to be 18. I'm a bit protective of mine.

- Response by annandfam, A Thinker, Female, 46-55

.....I think that as long as the seat moves close enough to the controls and he can reach the pedals, he ought to be allowed to fly alone.

......why'd you wait so long to get him flying?....tryin' to make a slacker outta him?

- Response by nameacarl, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, Who Cares?, Oostende, Self-Employed

I think it's somewhere between 6-8. For me it would be more like 15. I don't trust too many people with my kid.

I am looking into that myself right now and I am going with southwest,fee is 50.00 each way and you can go to the plane to pick him up.everyone else besides tran air 100.00 each way..

- Response by brown5, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Financial / Banking