How do you deal with intrusive people? I just want to be left alone!
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 3:39 AM - Thursday August 05, 2010

How do you politely tell people to mind their own business or leave you alone?

I often find myself getting pushed around and in situations where people are really intrusive. Hints don't work. I need to learn to take charge so these people stop negatively effecting my life.

We were on vacation (husband baby and I), and perfect strangers kept interrupting our family outings and dinners. It overstimulated the baby to the point that we had to bring our meals outside.

On our last night there, my husband and I were enjoying our last vacation dinner together with baby, this older lady just turned around (after her own husband left) and proceeds to chat with us for over 25 minutes, through our whole dessert! The first day she arrived, she even tried to take my son by the hands and walk with him. I'm trying to give hints that we want to be left alone, to no avail. She just keeps pouring herself drinks and saying what a great vacation place this is!

Next, an obnoxious grandma type (whose alone for her vacation) keeps stopping by our table judging what baby is eating, yelling in his face and telling us he's over tired (when he just napped, and I'm telling her he's really overstimulated by all the strangers) even plopped down to join us as we were enjoying our view on the terrace on the last morning, I left her alone with my husband to give a hint, then I came back 15 minutes later hoping she was gone and she decides to follow us to our car and see where we put the baby-asking that we actually put him in the car seat for her! No thanks! I finally told her NO, we're going to go back to the terrace and enjoy time together as a family.

We were thinking of going back next year, but not if all of our dinners are going to be interrupted by overbearing people.

I need to find a way to assert myself.

How do you do it?

Update: August 05, 2010.
So Duggers, Do you like to be in restaurants enjoying the romantic view, only to have some desperate people just turn around and basically join your table? Last I checked, if you pay $80 for dinner with your wife, you want it with her, not someone whose friends already ditched them. Sorry, regular people should get the hint when you say your baby is disturbed by strangers constantly bothering him, or that it's the first time you've been able to get away alone. On numerous occasions, we actually had to leave the dining room because he started crying as soon as this old lady started screaming in his face-then she yells after us that "he's tired"-hello, he's scared of her. I'm not talking short disturbances either, one actually joined our table for over a half hour without being invited, after we kept saying we rarely get time alone and the baby doesn't like strangers (there was a low wall between us, but she just turned her chair around the second her husband left, and kept interrupting us despite rolling eyes, then we get up and leave and she does it again).

- Asked by milla, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

I would kook her in the eyes and say Excuse me but we were having a private moment.Some people have nerve.

ouR PROBLEM IS you, You are oversensitive if you want to live in this world, It would seem everyone is wrong except you, D

I'm just one of those people who REFUSES to be walked on...been there, done that as they say. So I can only be pushed so far. Then I start pushing back. You can try smiling why you tell these people to leave you the hell alone while you're on vacay...a smile will confuse them! lol

- Response by helayna, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

A good one to try is to tell them you must go, your plant's just fallen over..

This should have a stunning effect on them..! :)

- Response by heatherjune123, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, London, Who Cares?