Is epsom salt safe for weight loss?
Diet & Health / 3:18 PM - Wednesday August 04, 2010

Is epsom salt safe for weight loss?

I heard that taking three spoonfulls of epsom salt in your glass of water will help you loose weight. Has anybody tried this and how well does it work? I am at a bump in the road and need to start rising my weight loss again. How often do you do it like twice a week? Is there a safe amount of times you can do it in a week?

- Asked by jennollie99, A Married Girl, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

Its not really "Salt" nor is it sodium. It's comprised of magnesium and sulfur.
As for weight loss, haven't heard that one. It can be used for relieving constipation but is primarily used outside the body. If you do drink it, be aware that too much of any mineral can be toxic to the body.

You know what would work better running another mile. Stop being so lazy that you are putting epsom salt in your water just work harder and leave the guess work to what your being one of now, the idiots.

- Response by drallig9399, A Hip Hop Guy, Male, 29-35, Dallas, Military

I'm not so sure about that.

Salt is supposed to RETAIN water - I.E. holding it into your body. If you use salt to retain water, you will not be losing weight.

I guess the theory could be that you wouldn't be as hungry, but that's the only thing I can gather from this. =-)

- Response by cutypy5840, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Medical / Dental

I have never heard of this method. I do know that salt will make you retain water and therefore GAIN weight. Really the only tried and true way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. If you've hit a plateau, try switching up your workout. If you usually run, then try swimming for a few weeks. And definitely be sure to drink a LOT of water. At least 1/2 your body weight in ounces (ie - a 100 pound person should be drinking 50 ounces of water per day.)

I've been in your same boat, and I know it's discouraging. Just stick with it. You'll get there!

- Response by bundleofopinion, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35

i heard you were supposed to put that same amount in your bath each night, not drink it.

It works but it's not safe and it only helps you lose weight for a short period and with horrible consequences over time. If you take laxatives every day/ every few days then that means you'll constantly have diarrhea and that means you're not only starving yourself of nutrients but you're also dehydrating yourself as well so it's extremely dangerous. Your muscles will shrink, your metabolism will slow down, you'll become very depressed and you'll end up doing irreversible damage to your body. If you want to lose more weight, do it the smart way by cutting calories and exercising more.

Good Luck!

No
The ONLY way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in. You have to get off the couch.

- Response by etbass, A Creative, Male, 36-45, Executive