Once your divorce papers are filed with the courts do you think that its ok to date???
Married Life / 7:28 PM - Sunday August 01, 2010

What do you think? It's been over 1 1/2 years since I lived with my husband.

Yes, if you are in a state that makes you wait for the final judgment, that is just paperwork. Your marriage is over and its time to move forward freely.

- Response by maryea, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, New York, Retired

Once the papers are filed you have every right to date. I don't know why you waited so long though if you haven't live with him for all of that time.

You do have some hoops to jump through yet, but for my money you are home free. rek

I think so. There's nothing wrong with casual dating before you're officially divorced. You need to get started on your new life.

- Response by mrscleaver16, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65

I think if you've been separated for that period of time it is okay to date again, if you feel ready for it. Heck, some people don't even seek a separation first.

- Response by jess2481, A Life of the Party, Female, 36-45, Cincinnati, Other Profession

If you think the drama is over, sure.

- Response by siouxzen, A Creative, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles, Self-Employed

I think that you need to make the decision for yourself. Is there any hope that you and your husband will reconcile? If not then why not.

- Response by golliwog, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

Legally. Yes.

Mentally? Ask yourself if you are going to have the same approach to the next person before you jump in. Seems like the reason why so many people divorce multiple times is because they have never stopped to figure out the problem in the first place.

I've figured out a lot of my problems and still want nothing to do with the opposite sex.

- Response by A Creative, Male, 36-45, Technical

I think it's all a matter of what you're comfortable with. It's ok as soon as you live apart.

Example: a week after I left my first husband because he hit me, an old friend passing through town asked me out to dinner. My mom made some comment about it "being a little soon." My response was "Mom... he didn't DIE, he beat me up. I'm going out."

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

I can not understand why u would wait a year and a half

Not rEALLY WiSE, D

I wouldn't date you. A woman has to be completely out of her last relationship before she can be completely in to a new one.

Honestly I don't think it would be wise to date now. I mean I'm no divorce attorney or expert here. But I still don't think it would be wise trying to start dating and end up having to explain to every new guy you might end up getting close to or getting intimate with that you are still technically married as you just started the divorce process. I think it might be better to wait til things are officially and cleanly ended before starting something new. Cause courts and even your ex could twist things up and accuse someone new you are seeing of being part of the reason you 2 are divorcing or something. Which would be untrue, but lawyers have a way with words sometimes and can paint the other side as the bad guy even for the slightest thing.

- Response by CursedRomantic, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Columbus, Student

You can date whenever you want.

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25

1 1/2 years apart...the marriage is over, you don't live together anymore, you don't want to live together anymore for whatever reasons. you can certainly date if there is no way you will go back...i am going through a divorce right now also and he is not make it any easier on me. i am dating somebody and have been for several months now. he has been very supportive but i didn't leave my husband for him. i left because i just couldn't live with him anymore. i was so tired of the mess he created that i didn't have a choice. i was tired of convincing him for 9 years. you can't change people if they don't want to change. so i am moving on with my life and i wish you the same!

- Response by sexyvioletta, A Thinker, Female, 29-35