I had an interesting talk with my employer. What would you think if your boss told you this?
Career / 4:27 PM - Tuesday July 27, 2010

My boss told me that I am putting too much money into
my 401K (I am saving 15%). He said that saving that
much money is a strong indicator that you want to
retire early. He said that he wanted people who wanted to be here not those who were just waiting to
retire.

- Asked by screenname256, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Managerial

Well, it's none of his business and it sounds to me like hes making a threat.

Perhaps you should just tell him that you are tying to secure the lives of yourself and your family as you can't predict the future - as we all realised in 2008...

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Student

I would think that your boss is not the brightest sandwich in the tool shed and needs to mind his own business.

- Response by perkyjen1, A Life of the Party, Female, 29-35, Boston

what a jerk he is...just tell him "nope i plan to work for a long time..i'm a saver" and theres nothing wrong with that ;)then walk away.

I would tell him I want to be with a company that values my work and it's not uncommon for companies to go out of business. It does sound like he's hinting to you that your job is not secure, but neither is his company.

- Response by twocents47, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Your boss is an idiot. It's not an indicator of anything. Does he match the contributions? Maybe he just doesn't like matching what you are putting in. And besides that you have a right to put the max away for retirement AND it's just smart in terms of the taxes you pay on your income.
Yes...he's an idiot.
That all said...you can loose alot of money if you have too much money in accounts like 401K's if they aren't handled well and the market goes south.

- Response by joybird, A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

If my boss were to say something like this to me, I would probably consult an attorney. It appears to me that your boss is potentially creating a hostile environment for you. I would at least want to know what my rights are and what I need to do to protect myself in the event that I were to be discriminated against because of this perception of his.

- Response by teddysalad, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Buffalo, Who Cares?

You tell them dumb fat f*ck that maybe he should learn something about saving for retirement and investing! AND yeah, I am on wall street and I know better then him. Then take his dumb as to HR for a violation of your privacy and creating a hostile working environment. Your boss is not supposed to know how you alot your taxes, savings or anything else except how much money he puts in that check. Mentioning it to you is twice the offense and puts him into the 'hostile work environment' category. Tell your HR department you are unbelievably upset with his comments and you feel that he is 'discriminating' against you because you are planning properly.

- Response by 7zebras, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, New York, Financial / Banking

I wonder why anyone would be in a hurry to leave this company?

Tell him you live simply and don't need the money, that you want to retire comfortably and would like to leave something for your children.
And that ultimately, it's none of his business and maybe he should spend more time reviewing the company's finances and less time reviewing yours.
You may choose to leave off that last paragraph.

- Response by falsehammer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Kansas City, Consulting

That was probably one of the stupidest things I have heard in an office besides someone asking me "why do you need to make more money? You're married!"

- Response by scooper, A Sportif, Female, 46-55, Dallas, Who Cares?

seriously? what a moron. He probably thinks he'll actually be able to live off of social security when he retires. Just tell him that while you love your job, you want to be able to afford to enjoy your retirement, rather than living allotment to allotment like your average retiree, and that you plan to save as much as you can as long as you can to achieve that.

- Response by 23rosess, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental

maybe he is paying u too much if u can save that much ask him to lower your wages

He's entitled to his desire and opinion. However, just because you chose to accept employment with him, doesn't mean he owns you or the decisions you make. You have a right to retire early is you want to. I think it's a great idea actually. You're making decisions based upon the desires and plans you have for your future. Some people are making it paycheck to paycheck and can't even think about saving or their future. They are just trying to survive from day to day. Good for you!

Shhh(hh) ... this is between you and me ' screenname256 ', ...

* so keep it on the Down Low ... *

I too started to embark on such an adventure about a year ago ... ...

Hopefully, could/ will I be able to retire before I reach thirty ... ... that's a high priority in my Life right now ... ...

Ahhh(hh) ... ... there's nothing like being free ... ... financially ... ... ... for the rest of your entire Life ... ...

- Peace Be Upon you

- Response by A Creative, Male, 29-35, Johannesburg, Internet / New Media

I absolutely agree w/7zebras!!!
Your boss has no 'rights' under federal law to service his curiosity w/your HR file, much less address any issues w/you!
Title VII protects you from this kind of harassment; violation of privacy; & entitlement to a "Good Working Environment".
I'd approach HR, unless he's it, and address the situation, peacefully. Otherwise, lawyer up & find another job.
Best Wishes!!!

- Response by elevatorup, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?

Its likely that your boss is not putting anything away himself and is intimidated that you are more intelligent that him. If you can afford 15% then you should do it. Its a smart way to save for your retirement - whenever you decide to retire.

In the future, I wouldn't get into those discussions with your employer. Its none of their business and if they ask you can always plead ignorance and say you can't recall how much you put into your 401k.

- Response by infantrystud, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Military

Sounds like he is the one who wants to retire early, people usually see in others what they feel themselves. It's just his opinion, but, a reflection nonetheless.

- Response by roanne5, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Dallas

What you do with your money if its spending or saving or investing is none of your boss's business. I wouldn't count on 401K being a smart investment for retirement though..I would check out other areas of investment as well. Rosey

Does he know the state of the economy?

I wouldn't explain anything to him. Your money, your business. I'd also do a bit of research and see if what he did is legal.

Ahhhh, the joys of working for a sole proprietor. It gets even better when they hire family (like their wife!) and everyone has to work with them too.

We can guess and call him an idiot all we want, but the real question is Was he right?

I also put 15% into my plan, and 15% is the max right now, it used to be 10%. I commend you for saving regularly.
Do this. Get a program that calculates how much money you will have at age 65 by saving 15% and assuming 5% interest annually until then. The ask your boss how much he thinks you should save, and then run the calculation based on his suggestion. Now show the moron the difference! You will be astounded, and so will he. If he has any sense, he will up his to 15%.

It is NOT an indicator of planning for early retirement, it is an indicator that you are smart and frugal and are planning for a rewarding retirement. How did that dipshit get into management anyway?

- Response by rhonda35, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

first of all, why does your boss know how much you are contributing to your 401k? something like this happened at a company where i previously worked. the company was trying to get everyone to contribute to the 401k program so they created a list of who was contributing and who was not; the list also included the exact percentage being saved by those who were contributing. needless to say there was a lawsuit. employees felt that their privacy had been violated.

i suggest you tread softly. i've come to learn it is not always a good idea to let your boss know when they are being a complete ass. you may want to just say something along the lines of, "i put 15% in the 401k, because my wife does not contribute to her plan. my paycheck takes care of the saving for the entire family. i love my job and plan to be here until i drop dead."

- Response by darchie, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Chicago

How does your boss know this information? It is supposed to be confidential. First of all, EVERYONE wants to retire early. Second of all, the way things are going, you can't put too much away. Look at all of the people who lost half of their 401k's over the last couple of years. Anyone who wanted to retire is now forced to work longer than they thought they would have to.

As a former HR rep, I would NEVER tell anyone to go to HR, but in this case, I'd advise you to do that. He's way out of line,a nd his remarks could be construed as a threat. You want a record of this in case something happens down the line.

- Response by waitinggirl22, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles

I would tell him to mind his own damn business. I guess you should be in operation cover your ass from now on since it appears like he's looking for reasons to get rid of you.

- Response by luckyinkentucky, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

That is none of his frakenagle business!!! I swear people are getting more and more bold in this economy thinking they can say anything to people. That sounded like a threat to me and I would treat it as such and I would be looking for another job.

- Response by kcsmom, A Thinker, Female, 46-55

Your boss is a retard.

- Response by damnpoor, A Couch Potato, Male, 29-35, Other Profession