Can you move on with another relationship if you still have feelings for an ex?
Dating / 2:13 PM - Saturday July 24, 2010

I believe that once you love someone, you always will.....

But can you truly be with someone else and make that relationship work if you still love your ex?

- Asked by thekissbandit, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

You aren't moving on if you still have feelings for your ex. I really don't think a new relationship with someone could work if you are in love with someone else. Relationships are work and how hard would you be willing to work on a relationship with someone if you didn't love them. I think people should resolve the issues and feelings they have with their exes before trying to start something new with someone new.

- Response by iamboo2, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Charlotte, Therapist

Nope. You can date others but as long as you feel for another, you will not be able to have a healthy relationship.

- Response by onlyme52402, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Technical

I agree. If you feel for someone to where for whatever reason you just can't be together your feelings don't just go away(for example even if your loved one dies.) You will always have some love deep down for someone you truly loved. The best you can do is accept things & come to terms with them in a way to learn from it & move along life's road. No two loves are exactly the same & your heart is big enough to let another person in. Only if you can get to the place of acceptance & forgiveness of the past love finding a sense of closure within yourself can you truly open your heart again. Allowing you to let go of the past to embrace a new future.

One love doesn't replace another, it's just different & special in it's own unique way.

- Response by melmac, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

I can't.

Unless that love takes on a whole different meaning...away from a relationship type of love. Not easily done, and takes time.

I'm sorry, but I got over my ex YEARS ago. I don't love him now. People can do things to actually KILL whatever feeling you might have had for them.

It depends. If the feelings you have are ones of yearning to be with that person, then no. However, I'm a firm believer of 2 things. 1) REAL love is UNCONDITIONAL. 2) Loving someone and being IN LOVE with someone are 2 different things. With that being said, you can LOVE someone, not be IN LOVE with them, but not have a yearning or desire to be with them. Or simply not look at that person like 'that'. So if at any point you truly loved an ex, you may not be in love with them, but you still generally love them, that doesn't mean you would up and be in a relationship with them. So I believe you can be with someone and love (not be in love) someone else. JMO.

- Response by clearlybrooklyn, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, New York, Who Cares?

You can still love, care and have concern for that other person. What you can't have is being "in love", romantic or intimate feelings of love for that person. Having those feeling still be alive inhibits your ability to make a relationship work with someone else.

Everyone defines love differently and there are different kinds of love.

you need to resolve your feelings ....it will be unfair to the other person ..but to yourself most of all to be with someone you dont love

- Response by morena1112, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

I always went into a new one fast to get over the old one