Is this a bad time to go into the military reserve?
Career / 2:53 PM - Friday July 23, 2010

I met with a recruiter who said it's absolutely not. My family has a different opinion and I feel uncertain.

Advice?

- Asked by A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

If you feel uncertain, then don't. I don't think it's a very bad time to join the reserves. My sister has been in the reserves since 1997 and she is currently finishing her only international tour of duty in Iraq. It's a lot of luck of the draw as to if you will be sent away. She almost made it all the way through the whole conflict without being activated.

Also, by the time you get your basic training and AIT (I think it is called that) training completed, we'll probably be out of Iraq, and hopefully finding a way to get out of Afghanistan.

- Response by smalltown29, A Sportif, Female, 29-35, Minneapolis, Financial / Banking

Thier job is to recruit you.They will make it sound rosey.You will be dragged into a war to fight.I don't blame your parents.I would not want to fight a senseless war.Once we are out of it go for it.

Just know and understand that alot depends on the job you choose. Some jobs are safer than others. You have a chance in getting injured period. You lesson your chances by getting certain jobs. Like my job is in supplies which means that I mostly work indoors inside of a warehouse/office. I'm not going to be in the fields getting shot at. That's something to keep in mind.

Another thing to look into, more people die in this country every year than all the people that have died in Iraq/Afghan combined. Not sure why people think the military is a gateway to death. Look how many people got killed by drunk driving alone. So you do the math.

- Response by bts4life20, A Trendsetter, Female, 26-28, Self-Employed

I swear, I read these responses and think, what in hell do people think the military is for anyway??? Duh, national defense, yes fighting, defending, killing, etc. None of us know what is going to happen in the future, what possible conflicts may arise... there is plenty of danger in the world right now for sure.
Today, you can learn a valuable skill in the military and damn, they are sure paying very good, and re-enlistment bonuses are very high, check it out. I would suggest either the Navy or the USAF for a good technical skill. At least you are willing to serve, unlike the cowards who justify their being chickens by making anti-military, anti-USA remarks.

Listen to your family... Recruiters lie to make their quota.

We already have vets returning from Iraq, being screwed-over
U.S. still hasn't adequately helped-out our Vietnam veterans.

He's a recruiter of course he said its not. If you don't mind going to war then sign up. If you don't want to be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan then don't.

Ummm recruiter...it's their job to sell the military. It's like the guy at Sears telling you that you need to buy that new washer he has on sale. Listen to all sides, and get all your questions answered; then make an educated decision. BTW, my cousin is shipping out to Afghanistan next week; and his brother is going on a second tour in three years (also to Afghanistan)--you tell me if it's a great time to join the military.