Can you rescind your letter of resignation? Is it ever done?
Career / 3:04 AM - Wednesday July 21, 2010

Say you handed in your letter of resignation. Then you start your new job. Can you come back within 2 weeks and cancel it? Has anyone ever done this?

Honestly? I've never heard of anyone doing this and would personally never rehire anyone who had just left my employ in order to "better" their situation. It not only smacks of contempt, but poor judgment as well on your part.

- Response by bookman, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Seattle, Hospitality

I wouldn't think many companies would be allow that.

Unless you were critical to an organization, once you leave, that's it.

If you changed your mind, it could make them wonder how many times you'll do this in the future too.

- Response by mrscleaver16, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65

You need to go talk to your old boss today! before they hire another person and admit you miss the place and WANT to come back. If you were a good employee and liked, I bet they will take you back. You might have to do some sucking up here! Just say you missed this job and you found out the grass was not greener on the other side of the fence! Let us know what happens.

for guys working for me that would be out of the question

Extremely rare and not without repercussions.
Have a friend who resigned, but the company went after him, begging for him to come back, offered 25% raise and to transfer the person that was the reason for him leaving.
He had complained to them before but they didn't take him seriously till he left.

Basically only chance of it happening is if they REALLY want you back. Even after your slap in the face of resigning.