How do you entertain an 8 year old girl?
Family & Parenting / 12:56 AM - Tuesday July 20, 2010

My in-laws are coming in town and are bringing my husband's 8-year old niece with them. She's an only child so usually I end up being her "playmate". I'm not that good with kids but I always end up as the defacto babysitter whenever my in-laws are in town. Do you have any ideas to keep an 8 year old entertained for a weekend? Preferably something that doesn't require constant attention such that I can get some errands done and do some adult activities myself. Thanks.

- Asked by A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25, Chicago, Technical

If you are asking how to entertain her without your presence, I am at a loss for a suggestion.

What I WOULD DO, is take her with me, while running my errands and even including some ice cream for just the two of you at an ice cream shop. Make her feel special and treat her like an friend. She already has a Mother. Then she can help you set the table for dinner? Keep you company while you do most anything. I do not know what sort of ADULT activities you are planning to partake in, but while you have company, and you know the drill, I would think you could put a few of those activities on hold?

Actually it can be fun. Especially if you take it on with that attitude.

Heck, when my daughters were that age, that's when they were the funnest! If she's anything like mine, just out doing ANYTHING was fun to them. Driving around running errands, watching movies etc.

- Response by nameacarl, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, Who Cares?, Oostende, Self-Employed

Sorry, scratch--that, I re-read your post. at age 8...you need to take her with you..shes to young to leave unattended.

- Response by pinknblu, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Why are you allowing yourself to be stuck with the job? tell your inlaws or your husband to entertain her.

I agree with beanielou, don't do it unless you like the kid. If you like her (as much as probably she likes you, because kids goes with the ones they like) Then entertainment and good moments come by themselves, but it will be a good idea to be ready to go to McDonalds and give her a happy meal, some movies, maybe a puzzle.

- Response by tartenon, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Self-Employed

Never underestimate the power of a pony.

- Response by whatdat, A Life of the Party, Male, 26-28, Denver