I'm having a hard time losing weight. Please help. I weigh 149 and I'm 5'5.
Diet & Health / 1:27 PM - Sunday July 18, 2010

I walk in the evenings about 3x/week. I tried to cut down what I am eating by drinking more water. I'd say I drink about 4 full glasses of water. If I drink 8, I'd go to the restroom approximately 10 times a day! What foods should I stick to to lose weight? I sometimes have the occasional energy drink and was wondering if anyone knows if this will help you lose weight? I've been at this weight for about 6 months and probably even gained a pound or two. I'm just frustrated and would like some good and honest answers! Thank you!
P.S. I even went to check for hypothyroidism and it actually stated that I'm a little hyperthyroidism.

- Asked by A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Houston, Medical / Dental

In addition to what others wrote:

Take out foods that contain sugar and certain carbs that make your body hang onto fat:

Orange Juice (balanced diet, one serving at breakfast, don't drink it all day long!)
Wheat Bread
Artificial Sweeteners
Corn Syrup in anything (soda, nearly all bottled drinks)
Soy Milk and products
Canola Oil (olive oil and coconut oil instead, for fat reasons)
Hydrogenated Products
Margarine (Yes, use real butter instead; it contains protein, a milk product)

It's back to lean meat, white meat (chicken, fish, seafood, lean pork) one-main ingredient recipes.

Cut back on pasta, just every now and then (once a week on Sunday is only four times a month, remember, just like my Italian grandparents did, with very healthy tomato sauce). Rice and beans instead. Even whole wheat pasta contains sugar.

Eat fruits and veggies, those with less sugar. But you still need some things for balanced diets, like citrus, just eat less quantity. Bananas, apples, and oranges all are high in sugar. So are carrots.)

And cancer feeds off sugar! And there's the diabetes risk, etc.
So ...

Eat a handful of raw nuts every day (pistachios, almonds, walnuts are among the best). Eat avocadoes. Eat eggs.

Eat protein first thing in the morning to jump start your metabolism (milk and meat products, some like protein shakes), a few carbs later in the day for energy. Eggs are great here, with veggies in them. Mushrooms.

Go to the used bookstore or thrift store and pick up cookbooks for eggs, meats, and fruits and veggies, and start eating right!

Our Italian grandparents and the Mediterranean Diet had it right!

You will feel full on this lifestyle and eliminate cravings (energy drinks are full of sugar and chemicals)!

Mediterranean diet for heart health - MayoClinic. com
The heart-healthy Mediterranean diet emphasizes healthy fats, fruits and vegetables.

www.mayoclinic.com/heal th/mediterranean-diet/C L00011 - Cached
Mediterranean Diet
Aug 6, 2009 ... The Mediterranean Diet is more than a diet. It is a lifelong living style. You have to adopt it, as a religion. Decades ago, it was the ...
www.mediterraneandiet. com/ - Cached - Similar

They used to call this a "balanced" diet. What's old is new again! Smaller portions, don't overeat (they used to call that "counting calories", but that is an unfashionable term now; but you still need to figure that out and watch how much you consume during each day compared to your activity, in order not to take in more calories than you are working off, or take in less, in order to burn fat), and fill up on water inbetween meals. Eight glasses a day, restroom every two hours. There you go. You need the water in you to process everything through, and it reduces wrinkles and dry skin. People confuse thirst with hunger, drink water instead!

Yes, you can have an occasional regular dessert and chocolate (oh, chocolate!) with this diet, just count the calories you consume during the day and eat plenty of the other things to fill you up!

If you rebel against meat, then follow the vegetarian recommendations for protein, but you must have protein for a balanced diet.

I am within a few pounds of my ideal weight, all the time, for these reasons. I used to be 20 lbs. overweight at 38, dropped it all, and am healthy and fit now.

(Did you know if you continue to eat like you did when you were 18, that you will gain 2 lbs. per year, when your metabolism changes at around 28 or 30, until "suddenly" you are 20 lbs. overweight? Is THAT how it happened? Okay? Okay.)

If I can do it, you can do it!

- Response by naiveladyquestions, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

That doesn't sound so bad. Up your game to 60 minutes of walking or biking 5 days a week. Cut your carbs back and up your protein to compensate.

Read Ultra Metabolism by Dr. Mark Hyman.
Eat mostly fruit and vegetables. Eat minimally processed or organic white meat chicken, turkey and wild fish. Eat whole foods no chemicals especially no trans fats.
In short get rid of excess saturated fat eat products that are rich in omega fat like nuts.
Lean organic beef is OK. I do not eat it.
The book would help you.

- Response by philosopher1, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55

Are you kidding? You aren't doing near enough to loose weight. Just walking 3x/week ain't squat. You have to be working out at least an hour 6 out of seven days and that walking is as close to a jog as you can get...you need to be sweating and just barely able to carry a conversation as you walk. Anything less is just a stroll in the park honey.
And you should take up weight training as well. Focus on core body strength and large muscle groups...they burn more calories when they are toned and you look better as well.
And the newest research indicates that Low carb...low calorie is still the best way to go. You need to cut out anything even closely rembling a sugar, syrup, white flour, processed and saturated in fat. and if you are hyperthyroid...you really have no excuses. Your weight is not a medical issue...it's an issue of lifestyle.

- Response by joybird, A Career Man, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

everyone has given you great advice......it really is about less calories/carbs in and more calories/carbs burned.....

Try and keep a food journal for a week or two....you will be very surprised as to how many "little things" you may be consuming that add to the weight. Mix up your exercise routine...bike one day, run one day, yoga, wall climbing, hiking.....by mixing it up you will not become bored.

Find a friend to do things with.......keep accountability to that person.....It helps when you have a friend that is on the same journey as you are....

Best to you......I lost over 40 pounds and have kept it off because of the advice I just gave you here.... :)

- Response by zibet58, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Teaching

Do an inventory/diary of what you eat and how many calories it contains. Realise recommended daily intake is based on an active man, so you should shoot for 1500 or so, but less if you are trying to lose weight, and need to up your activity walk 3x a week? how far? How many miles you walk is a better indicator of activity than how many hours.

PS energy drinks are almost pure sugar and caffeen, they are for if you are planning to run a marzathon in the next 5 minutes. If you don't then it will just add calories.

Personally,
I dont think you need to lose weight at all.
What you should be focussing on is being happy with the person you are and be confident in your body as well as in your abilities.

- Response by careyprice31, A Sportif, Female, 22-25

Try a high protein/low fat diet by using The Burger Buddy Fat Reducer: http://www.theburgerbud dy.com. It allows you to take inexpensive fatty meat like burgers and bratwurst just cooked on an outside grill and reduce the fat by as much as 50%! Also reduces fat/water soluble contaminants to make the meat safer to eat and more digestible. Cook up lots of meat and then freeze it. You now have easy to fix healthier meals than can be microwaved up in minutes that still have that great outdoor grilled taste without all the mess (or guilt). See the meat pics at the blog.

- Response by Female, 66 or older, Cincinnati, Science / Engineering